Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for: Home sharing not working and Airport device not found

Usually, I just post problems, but this time I managed to fix one. Home sharing seems to be tricky and probably there is more than one way for it to not work.

Here was my problem:

I turned on home sharing in iTunes and on my iPhone and iPad. But when both the phone and the iPad were open, they no longer showed up in iTunes. This is a real pain since it means you need to make a physical connection to even upload a single new song.

Worse, my AppleTV couldn't see any of my movies. It did know which ones I had bought and would let me stream them from the Apple store, but not from my computer just down the hall.

I went all round and round trying everything until one suggestion took me to the Airport Utility. But when I started it, I got the little yellow warning sign next to the image of my Aiport Extreme and a message saying "Device Not Found".

But at the same time, my internet was working just fine and had been for weeks.

And here was my fix:

So, the fix for this was to unplug the power cord to the Airport Extreme for 30 seconds or better, then plug it in again. By the time I walked through the house to my MacPro everything was fixed.

I'm certain that this won't fix everyone's problem, but thought it might help someone, so I'm leaving it here where search engines can find it.

Best of luck with whatever problem you have!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 9:29 AM

There are no replies.

Fix for: Home sharing not working and Airport device not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.