Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAID Slice Failed on my 2tb Lacie Little Big Drive

I was working in FCPX 10.8 on my Macbook Air using my 2tb Lacie Little Big Drive with thunderbolt connection when I got an improper disk removal message pop up. I hadn't removed the cable and the power had been on all of the time. From then on I couldn't get my drive to mount. I was working from this drive that is RAID 0. I have also tried the drive on my imac but no joy either.

I have used disk utility to verify and it says that all seems ok. But when you look at one of the RAID Slices it says Failed.

See attachment: User uploaded file

I have also tried Disk Warrior but it only sees the drive in the hardware section and again says that the drive appears to be functioning normally.

Is there any way of fixing this or will I need to re format. I will lose a fairly important project if this is the case.

Many thanks

Sam

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 10:17 AM

17 replies

Jan 24, 2014 9:40 AM in response to foxsam

Your LaCie Little Big Drive contains two 1 TB hard drives configured as a Raid 0 striped volume. I believe Raid 0 is the “as shipped” setup. It improves disk performance by splitting the data stream such that each drive only has to process half of the data.

The downside of a Raid 0 setup is that all data will be lost if either of the drives fail. Unfortunately, that appears to be your situation as the Disk Utility screen shot shows that hard drive disk 1s2 has failed. You haven’t found any obvious problems in the troubleshooting you’ve done, so your best bet would probably be to contact LaCie and ask for their help before attempting to reformat the drive. As you know, reformatting will eliminate any possibilty of recovering your important project.

I use a similar LaCie Thunderbolt drive configured as Raid 0 on my iMac. FCPX performance, especially playback, is far superior to my USB 2.0 external drives and somewhat better than my FW800 drive. I copy clips I’m using to the LaCie drive and keep the originals on a separate external drive. I believe this is now referred to as a “managed” library in FCPX 10.1 which, in my opinion, greatly simplifies backup and protection of one’s work.

Good luck and please let us know if you are able to find a solution.

Jan 24, 2014 11:44 AM in response to Grandpa Adams

I recommend never using RAID 0, always use RAID 1. With Thunderbolt and USB 3, you'll never notice the speed diffference. USB 2 is way too slow for video editing, never use it. FW800 holds up for small projects with very little compositing.

Yep, looks like you have a dead drive. Next time, configure it to RAID 1 and play it safer. Better yet, have a backup drive, on top of RAID 1 (or RAID 5 for arrays of 4+ drives).

Apr 14, 2014 10:12 AM in response to ToddBradley

ToddBradley, I DO believe it - mine did the exact same thing (yes, LaCie had replaced one LBD and my replacement has now failed!)! I always power down my MBP and then unplug all cables to take with me, but I still got errors telling me that the LBD had not been disconnected properly. I am wondering if this is the cause of the failure.

May 2, 2014 9:13 AM in response to foxsam

I have the same problem... MacBook Pro Retina ('13) and Little Big Disk Thunderbolt with two SSDs in RAID 0. I did not disconnect cable and got a weird messages saying something about improper eject.

When I turn off "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver, I don't get these messages. The downside is that attached spinning hard drives are always making noise.

I didn't find a solution to recover the failed RAID slice and had to reformat.

May 11, 2014 6:33 PM in response to mcoleborne

The product I used is R-Studio for Macintosh: http://www.r-tt.com/data_recovery_macintosh/

I did it by following the instructions here: http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/MacOSX_SoftRAID0_Parameters

Yes, you need another drive to restore the files onto. It would be a bad idea for the software to modify the source drive as part of the recovery process, because of the possibility of making things worse.

May 15, 2014 10:59 AM in response to bwitwer

I don't think it's a defective LBD. I think there's some design thing with the LBD that messes up when certain MacBooks sleep it (either spin down drive or computer sleeps).

I used the LBD with a 2012 MBP 15" Retina and no issues. I switched to 2013 model with all other peripherals unchanged, and now I have this problem. I work around it by having it set to never sleep. The biggest negative here now are the connected spinning drives are always making noise.

RAID Slice Failed on my 2tb Lacie Little Big Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.