Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking ? on mac os 9.2.2

Help! My sisters iBook G3 has a blinking finder logo and "?" It had expensive programs on it too.

iBook, Mac OS 9.2.x

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 11:45 AM

21 replies

Jan 5, 2014 12:26 AM in response to DylUsesMac

It is several years since I last had this problem but from what I can remember it is simply an indication that the firmware cannot find a valid System Folder.

There can be many causes such as:

1 - missing or damaged hard disk

2 - PRAM needs resetting

3 - missing or damaged RAM or other components

4 - System Folder not blessed - may be OK but Finder and System need taking out of folder and putting back

Do you have another Mac or a Mac friend who can help you?

Jan 5, 2014 6:08 AM in response to DylUsesMac

The blinking "?" indicates that your "System Folder" has become corrupted. The easiest (and the most reliable) way to repair the disk is to locate a CD that contains a bootable copy of Mac OS 9. This can take the form of an official Apple Installer disk, a Disk Repair Utility such as Diskwarrior or a disk image from a web site such as Macintish Garden (www.macintoshgarden.org). Once you boot the computer from the CD, you can look at the system disk and retrieve stuff from it and possibly restore the disk to a functional status.

By the way, what is the "expensive program" that is on the computer? It may not be expensive any longer.

Gary

Jan 5, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Gary - former developer

Gary - former developer wrote:

The blinking "?" indicates that your "System Folder" has become corrupted.

I think this is only one of several possibilities - see my earlier posts. As far as I can recall the simple question mark image is part of firmware and only indicates that firmware is unable to find a valid System Folder. You can probably get this question mark with an almost empty box as long as a basic PCB and firmware are available.

Blinking ? on mac os 9.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.