Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big coffee spilled on my macbook. Now ok except battery.

Hello first thanks for your help.

I spilled a BIG cup of unsugared coffee on my macbook pro 13p retina Mavericks. Brand new it only has 4 weeks.

I have let it dry for 48h. Everything is OK (amazing!) BUT it only works when it is plugged into the wall.
This means the battery doesn't work anymore. As soon as I unplug, it shuts down.

State of battery is "must be replaced now".

Also I have a few questions...

- is it likely if I get the battery replaced it will be OK? (coffee could have damaged something else... battery connector, ...?)

- if I get the macbook opened, and try to clean with demineralized water, dry again all, could my battery recover?

- is there any software or utility that could try to fix this?

- can I buy the battery myself (where?) and replace it? I would prefer a brand new original battery

- seems my computer is SLOW since this. Can this be linked to the battery, and get better when a new battery is in?

Thanks !

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 11:57 AM

17 replies

Jan 4, 2014 12:28 PM in response to silotxy

First and foremost, you should either visit your local Apple Store or a reliable repair person to take care of the battery. Clearly, the battery is dead - but exposure to moisture can cause the battery to expand - potentially damaging your computer casing.

While you can do the replacement yourself, your case is a little more complicated - involving components you may not be aware may be affected. A good Mac repair person can clean your machine, replace the battery, and see if anything else is affected.

Of course, you can do this through Apple, but means more money. There are hundreds of local shops that can fix this; do research on the vendor, and ask for a warranty and guarantee for the repair.

Jan 4, 2014 12:32 PM in response to silotxy

Your macbook will soon start shutting down and get worse as corrosion sets in, get service ASAP

Liquid spills, why your MacBook chassis is a one-way valve for spills

After a substantial spill many people will turn their notebook upside down and shake it, not only does this not work, but it spreads liquid havoc throughout your machine and makes things often as bad as possible.

The keyboard itself acts like a one way valve in the case of a substantial liquid spill. While liquid pours into the bottom chassis easy, it does not come out easily at all, and in the case of any spill, most of it will not come out by turning it upside down. Disconnect all power and contact Apple for diagnostics and repair.

User uploaded file

Do not attempt to, after a spill, ‘dry out your MacBook’ and test it

After a spill most people invariably try to “dry out” their notebook by various methods, including hair dryers and otherwise. This both does not work, and after a substantial spill of any magnitude, even if the liquid was water, residue is left behind.

There are additionally many very tight places inside your notebook where liquids will linger for a very long time, and cause corrosion or worse.

Immediately unplug your notebook and contact Apple for in shop diagnostics and parts replacement.

In the case of very minor spills people will “dry out” their notebook and feel success that their notebook is working ok, however invariably in nearly all instances after 4-14 days an error / fault pops up and is usually followed by more.

In case of a spill, damage estimates are impossible,.....anything can be fixed, without question.......the question is cost.

contact Apple for in shop diagnostics and cost estimation ....possible parts replacement. 😊

You ask- if I get the macbook opened, and try to clean with demineralized water, dry again all, could my battery recover?

No, dont do that.

Jan 4, 2014 12:36 PM in response to poikkeus1

poikkeus1 wrote:

First and foremost, you should either visit your local Apple Store or a reliable repair person to take care of the battery. Clearly, the battery is dead - but exposure to moisture can cause the battery to expand - potentially damaging your computer casing.

Much more likely that the LB is damaged, and the damage will get worse.

Jan 4, 2014 2:30 PM in response to silotxy

Since it is still the holiday period, you could exchange it or return it.

But it's probably not the right thing to do. Admitting you screwed up and getting it fixed by Apple would be the honest thing to do.

There really isn't much you can do other than that. You could also take it to a third party and see how much it would cost them to repair it.

I do not recommend you doing anything yourself especialy since the new mac's are not meant to be taken apart. Have apple at least give you an estimate first.

Jan 4, 2014 2:34 PM in response to alex94598

alex94598 wrote:

But it's probably not the right thing to do. Admitting you screwed up and getting it fixed by Apple would be the honest thing to do.

It is the only thing to do, suggesting that the OP could try to scam Apple is not something you should do. ESPECIALLY here.

Jan 4, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Csound1

It is the holiday period and you can exchange or return items that are not working properly. I simply let the OP know their right to this in a GENERIC situation.

I am not suggesting OP to scam apple, I clearly said it would not be the right thing to do if it is OP's fault.

I do not know the full story behind it. I don't know how much coffee was spilled, what part exactly it was spilled on, and how much of it actually got into the laptop. I was not in that situation. Maybe there is a slight chance it isn't the fault of the coffee and it was due to a defect in the laptop?

I am trying to be helpful and there is no need to act like a jerk.

Csound1 wrote:

alex94598 wrote:

It is the only thing to do, suggesting that the OP could try to scam Apple is not something you should do. ESPECIALLY here.

Jan 4, 2014 4:14 PM in response to alex94598

alex94598

It is the holiday period and you can exchange or return items that are not working properly.

Stop advocating fraud on a user induced accident that is unrelated to the notebook.

accidents are not covered for exchange or return

spills are not covered for exchange or return

loss / theft etc. are not covered either

This is true of cars, electronics, and most things in life in general and specific.

Jan 4, 2014 4:19 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I am not advocating fraud. Stop correcting me and focus on helping the OP.

You have a warranty and if something is not working well you are allowed to exchange it, return it, or get it fixed.

If it is not working well DUE to OP's fault then of course you forfeit that right. Once again I do not know the EXACT CASE with the laptop and if somehow it is due to a DEFECT. We all spill things sometimes and it doesn't necesarrily mean its going to destroy our battery.

Jan 4, 2014 4:50 PM in response to Csound1

To finish things up:

- if I get the macbook opened, and try to clean with demineralized water, dry again all, could my battery recover?

- is there any software or utility that could try to fix this?

Demineralized water might just make things worse. Best bring it to a professional.

There is no utility to fix this. However, I strongly suggest backing up everything...and letting us know what happened after the repair or fix.

Jan 4, 2014 6:00 PM in response to Csound1

Ok, because apparently according to you I posted saying the OP should go and delibiterely scam Apple. It's a 1,000+ laptop and not all of us can simply just trash it and get a new one. If you have the ability to exchange or return it then there is nothing wrong with using it to your advantage.

But of course like I said in my first post, it would not be the right thing to do since OP spilled coffee on it.

Report my post if you wish. I do not agree with you and do not wish to argue about it anymore. I was simply trying to be helpful and inform OP of their options.

To silotxy, best of luck with getting your laptop fixed/replaced 🙂

Csound1 wrote:

alex94598 wrote:

I am not advocating fraud.

Alex, we can all read your post (it's still here) just don't do it again, OK.

Jan 4, 2014 6:18 PM in response to alex94598

1. nobody has the ability to "ability to exchange or return" a user caused accident / spill etc.

2. EVERYONE has the ability to replace parts (i.e. FIX) a damaged computer.

3. Warranty repairs are either "covered" or "not covered due to accidents etc." Spills are defacto "not covered"

Refer yourself to warranty coverage data.

There are nearly a dozen spill / liquid trip sensors inside to prevent what you are advocating, refer yourself to "Macbook liquid sensors"

Big coffee spilled on my macbook. Now ok except battery.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.