Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Woes... I'm sad.

Well I finally got fed up with some of the issues I've been having with my MBP. I've got the blown speaker on the right side, a slight wine, heat problems, occasional video card issues, and my magsafe connector is starting to fall apart. So just as I was picking up my MBP so that I could call AppleCare, the thing just turned off. And now, I can't even get it to boot up. Maybe you guys can help? When I press the power button, and if I'm lucky, the unit will power up, and about a quarter of the way through the startup chime the computer will just shutoff. Nothing appears on the screen through all of this. If I'm not lucky I can just push the power button and absolutely nothing happens. I get the same results with the battery in and no AC power, battery out with AC power, and with both the battery and AC power. I tried resetting the PMU and that didn't change anything. Now, I'm slightly worried because I did put new RAM in the machine a few weeks ago. It was 2 Gigs of Corsair memory (which many people attested worked with the MB and MBP). The computer has worked great ever since I put it in, but I suppose it could have just gone bad. Anybody have any ideas?

MBP 15" - Core Duo 2.16Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HD, 256MB Video RAM

Posted on Jul 26, 2006 5:29 AM

3 replies

Jul 26, 2006 5:42 AM in response to charrison

Mine is the same, My MBP 15" is a week 9 model serial number. It has been sent back to Apple twice, first time they replaced:
LEFT AND RIGHT FAN
DC INVERTER

Second time they replaced:
LEFT AND RIGHT FAN
RAM
MEMORY LOGIC BOARD
OPERATING SYSTEM

And now the battery won't charge fully, the MBP turns off when the battery level gets down to 33% and it won't turn on again. Starting yesterday it will now randomly turn off whatever the remaining battery level is. Also when the charge reaches 98% the light on the MAG SAFE will change from orange to green and so on.

I have contacted Apple and they are sending me a new battery with a pre-paid postage box to send my old one. They also asked for my Credit card number incase i didn't send the old one.

I have to wait 7-10 days for the new battery to arrive. The battery never played up before until they replaced the MLB.

Jul 26, 2006 7:22 AM in response to A Diversion

I've posted this many times, and I guess I'll do it again just to share in my dissatisfaction with apple products.

My first MBP came with a DOA DVD drive.
The replacement came with a DOA keyboard.
That replacement seemed ok until about a week ago. Applications just randomly failed and shut down, then I started getting increasingly more frequent Kernel panics. I finally decided to reinstall the OS and it crashed halfway through (AFTER the point which the OS was removed... so it could only then boot to the install disc which always failed.)

Through all this, however, I have to say that Apple's commitment to service is excellent. I called at 8am yesterday morning, got a call from my front desk the same day at noon saying it arrived, and had DHL pick it up at 8pm that night. Let's see how many other things Apple breaks on it before sending it back. Kinda like a mechanic =)

MBP Woes... I'm sad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.