Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anybody else having issues with importing RAW (.NEF) files since the last update?

Since the last update, 50ish% of my imports look like someone painted them with a rainbow brush (I know...sounds weird, but that is the best I can come up with to describe). Thank you

.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 3:04 PM

Which camera? They're not all the same.

Does it also occur with Preview?

12 replies

Jan 5, 2014 11:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

First off, Terence, thank you for your help. Here is a screen shot. As you can see, the top left corner is the view from the SD card, bottom left is the view of the .NEF file (pre-import) in preview, and the right side shows the imported file in iPhoto.

User uploaded file

And FYI, I have tried to import this file on its own into iPhoto 5 times as a test; 3 times the file imported allright, and twice it distorted (similarily, but not the same) like you see above.

Jan 5, 2014 12:30 PM in response to SkipIsChris

Well given that it opens in Preview normally, it looks more like an iPhoto issue than an OS one (Raw support is mostly done at the OS level).

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Post back with the result.

You can tell that chap I like his hat too.

Jan 5, 2014 3:00 PM in response to Yer_Man

Okay, before we get into my test results I will give a little more background information. Right around the time I upgraded to Mavericks I bought a QNAP TS-220 NAS and a NETGEAR R6250 Smart WiFi Router. The NAS is permanently connected to the router with a CAT6 ethernet cable. I put 4 TB of storage inside the NAS and transferred my iPhoto library onto it. When I was importing to iPhoto and having these issues, the files were being written to the NAS from the MacBook Pro via the Netgear router's WiFi connection.

Now the results. I did two tests.

The first: I created a new library folder ON MY HARD DRIVE (in the Pictures folder). This is where I had the library folder before I got the NAS and this is where it was when I never had these issues before. I imported all the photos that were on the SD card. NO ISSUES!

The second: I created a new library folder ON MY NAS. I turned off my MacBook Pro's WiFi and plugged an ethernet cable that runs to the Netgear router into the MacBook Pro's ethernet port. I imported all the photos that were on the SD card and the files were written to that new NAS folder. NO ISSUES!

So there you have it. Thank you Terence; I probably would have figured this out eventually but you helped me figure it out a lot quicker and you probably saved me a few extra days of frustration. The problem is more than likely happening in the WiFi connection. From now on I'll keep my library folder on my laptop's hard drive and work off that. When the folder gets too big I'll move it to the NAS for archive sake and create a new library folder on my laptop's hard drive. This should help avoid these pesky issues.

Again, thank you, and Happy New Year, Terence. Daniel says thank you for the complement on his hat!

Cheers!

Jan 5, 2014 3:14 PM in response to SkipIsChris

It's not the Wi-fi connection. You can't have an iPhoto Library on a NAS becuase a: the disk format is unsuitable and b: it's a networked connection.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note also the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

Jan 5, 2014 9:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

Wow! I would not have thought to look for such an article. Thank you! You have truly saved the day. I hope Apple is paying you.

If I may ask then, would what I mentioned before be okay?: "When the folder gets too big (on my hard drive) I'll move it to the NAS for archive sake and create a new library folder on my laptop's hard drive."

Jan 5, 2014 10:04 PM in response to SkipIsChris

no

the iPhoto library must always be on a volume formated Mac OD extended

You can't have an iPhoto Library on a NAS becuase a: the disk format is unsuitable

YOu can have a properly formatted disk image on a NAS and mount ti then use an iPhoto library on that disk image

A local hard wire connected hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) is better and much more convenient

LN

Jan 5, 2014 10:17 PM in response to LarryHN

Okay, thank you Larry. Holy crap! I'll move everything to a Mac OS extended (journaled) external drive right away. Let's hope I don't lose anything in the process. I do have 3 1TB external drives in Mac OS extended (journaled) mode holding Time Machine archives with the original iPhoto library folder I moved to the NAS, so I should be alright.

Thank you very much Terence and Larry for your help. Cheers!

Is anybody else having issues with importing RAW (.NEF) files since the last update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.