Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

08 documents won't save to 09

This is a major glitch. I thought I had solved this with pages earlier but now I'm having the same problem with Numbers. Numbers 08 won't open now that I have installed Numbers 09. It tells me to open in 08 and save to 09, but when I open a document in 08 by going through existing documents in 08, when I save document, it just saves it and doesn't ask if I want to save it in 09. What's up this this. Totally inconvenient and not very apple saavy. How do I get the 08 docs to save in 09?

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 3:27 PM

9 replies

Jan 4, 2014 3:44 PM in response to James Thomson

James,

Since the Numbers '08 and Numbers '09 Dock icons were identical, it can be difficult to keep track of what you are using. Numbers '13 has a different icon, featuring a Bar Chart with 4 bars instead of 3, but you have to look carefully.

A Numbers '08 document will open in Numbers '09 and when Saved will become a Numbers '09 document, by default. A Numbers '09 document will open in Numbers '13 and when Saved will become a Numbers '13 document. Numbers '13 will not open a Numbers '08 document. If you have all three versions installed, there is no problem. Inconvenient maybe, but not a tragedy.

Jerry

Jan 4, 2014 5:27 PM in response to James Thomson

Hi James,

"It tells me to open in 08 and save to 09... How do I get the 08 docs to save in 09?"

I doubt very much that this is the message presented. Like most applications, an earlier version of the application cannot save in a file format that didn't exist when the application was written. Development of Numbers '08 stopped when Numbers '09 (and the file format for Numbers '09) was introduced.

Later versions of most applicartions, Numbers included, are usually able to open (and save to) the file format of at least the most recent previous version. Numbers '09 can open Numbers '08 files, and can save to the file format used by Numbers '08. Numbers 3 (aka Numbers '13) can open Numbers '09 files, and can save/export to the file format used by Numbers '09.

To save a Numbers '08 document in Numbers '09 format:

• Open the document using Numbers '09
  • Save the document as a Numbers '09 document.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 4, 2014 9:52 PM in response to Barry

Hi Jerry and Barry,

Both of your responses are relevant and started to help me figure this out. First of all, I did not realize that there was a Numbers '13. I was assuming that my new Numbers 3.0.1 purchased today was Numbers 09. Boy, when you're 57 the years go by fast. So, I think the problem is: I do not have Numbers 09 so docs will not open in 09. Numbers 13 is asking me to first save the too old document in Numbers 09. But I do not have 09. So how do I jump from 08 to 13?

Jan 5, 2014 10:03 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thanks Jerry,

I live three miles from an Apple Store and will stop by and ask for their help via a copy of '09. It would be better to have the fix on my computer instead of emailing docs back and forth to the laptop. I've been using Apple/Mac since 2000 and I never ran into this problem of incompatibility with software updates more than once removed. I never remember updating Pages or predecessor AppleWorks every single time so I'm learning this lesson now for the first time.

08 documents won't save to 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.