Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air demands password to open the screen when I have no password for this.

? My MB-Air demands a password before opening the screen. I have not allocated a password for this and so the screen will not open. I can access Cloud through the Guest avenue but it serves little purpose. Right now I cannot use the computer and no of no way of providing a password that I do not know. I have used this for the past few weeks without problems following a hard disc replacement free of charge.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. John Storey

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 4:58 PM

1 reply

Jan 4, 2014 5:35 PM in response to johnstorey77

Because this problem occurred unexpectedly some of the following may not apply. Read everything to determine what is.

OS X: Changing or resetting an account password

Try the procedure under reset your user password with your Apple ID.

If that does not work for whatever reason you can also use the following technique:

1. Boot OS X Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac.
  2. When the Mac OS X Utilities screen appears,select Utilities > Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter. A window will open behind Terminal that looks like this:

User uploaded file

1. Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD" in the above screenshot), choose your user account from the dropdown selection, enter a new password, complete the password hint field, and click Save.
  2. You may then see a confirmation dialog explaining how this change affects Keychain Access and what to do about it. Remember it or write it down, then click OK.
  3. Quit Reset Password
  4. Quit Terminal
  5. Quit OS X Utilities and restart your Mac.

To fix your Keychain problems, go to your Utilities folder and open Keychain Access. Follow the steps here: Mac OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password.

My MacBook Air demands password to open the screen when I have no password for this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.