Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade or upgrading to iOS6

Hi,

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS7. Big mistake. Battery life is now unacceptable, it can't last longer than 4 hours, about half what lasted before the upgrade. The only "solution" was to buy an iPhone 5S. It goes perfectly well with iOS7.

So here's my questions:

1. I'd like to have my iPhone 4S downgraded to iOS 6.1.3. I know Apple likes to have all of the devices with the latest iOS, but honestly the 4S seems not to have been considered for the upgrade, or not thoroughly tested before releasing. The only solution I see in order to recover my 4S is to have it downgraded to 6.1.3. With that iOS it went perfectly fine.

2. I have an iPad 2 32GB + 3G. It's currently running iOS 5.x. I want to upgrade it to 6, but not to 7. I found that Apple won't let me upgrade to 6, only to 7. Is there a way to have iOS6 running on my iPad2? I also have an iPad Air and it runs like a charm with iOS7, but I'm sure it won't work that fine in my 2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, 32 GB

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 5:50 PM

You can't downgrade the iOS firmware. Also you can't upgrade to iOS 6, only iOS 7.0.4. If you stay at a lower iOS, you won't be able to update many apps.

My iPad 2 runs fine on iOS 7.0.4.

For the iPhone, look at.

iOS 7 Battery Life Draining Too Fast? It’s Easy to Fix

http://osxdaily.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-battery-life-fix/

 Cheers, Tom 😉

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2014 5:50 PM in response to Vischo

You can't downgrade the iOS firmware. Also you can't upgrade to iOS 6, only iOS 7.0.4. If you stay at a lower iOS, you won't be able to update many apps.

My iPad 2 runs fine on iOS 7.0.4.

For the iPhone, look at.

iOS 7 Battery Life Draining Too Fast? It’s Easy to Fix

http://osxdaily.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-battery-life-fix/

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jan 4, 2014 5:51 PM in response to Vischo

To

1: To every update, there are alway people saying the previous version was better but never the version before that. Apple do not support downgrading because it brings more problems (eg. apps not running...). FWIW, my daughter is perfectly happy with IOS 7.0.4 and she has iPhone 4S.

The Activation Lock feature that came with IOS 7 update is also recommended by the police.

2. You have missed the IOS 6 boat. At the moment, you can only update to the latest or not at all.

BTW, there are tens of millions of iPhone 4, 4S, iPad 2, & 3 (which I have) are running fine.

Jan 4, 2014 6:07 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thank you guys.

To Texas Mac Man:

Did you notice lags or crashes on your iPad 2 after the upgrade? I'm afraid that it can suffer the same problems that my iPhone 4S did, since it's the same processor and amount of RAM, as far as I know.

That's the only reason why I haven't upgraded my iPad 2 yet. Running iOS 5 it runs smoothly and fast, I'm afraid to end up with a sluggish paperweight.

To Ckuan:

I tried all of the usual recommendations to improve battery life on the iPhone 4S, none of them made a significant change in battery life. I saw a couple of iPhone 4 and 3 iPhones 4S render almost useless, or at least unpleasant to use after the upgrade. Do you think the language may cause a difference? I'm in Chile, we speak spanish here. You have seen lots of devices running fine after the upgrade, and I haven't, so I'm afraid to take that step with the iPad 2.

Jan 4, 2014 6:30 PM in response to Vischo

Vischo wrote:

To Ckuan:

I tried all of the usual recommendations to improve battery life on the iPhone 4S, none of them made a significant change in battery life. I saw a couple of iPhone 4 and 3 iPhones 4S render almost useless, or at least unpleasant to use after the upgrade. Do you think the language may cause a difference? I'm in Chile, we speak spanish here. You have seen lots of devices running fine after the upgrade, and I haven't, so I'm afraid to take that step with the iPad 2.

iPad 2 does not run faster than before and some IOS 7 features are not supported. Other than that, it's fine.

As for the iPhone 4 & 4S, I can only say about iPhone 4S which my daughter uses, runs fine as mentioned earlier.

You should think about this forum like in a hospital where only sick (not functioning) comes in. The others are happy and enjoying their devices.

Jan 5, 2014 12:50 PM in response to Vischo

I've been using iPhones since they first came out many years ago, and I've been using Apple Macs since they first came out in 1984. This is a problem with the Operating System IOS 7. I've updated to IOS 7.0.4 and prior to that I had no problem on my iPhone 4S. Up until then I was getting 2 days between charges on my iPhone. Now I'm only getting 2 hours. All the usual suggestions of turning off this and that are futile.

It would appear that it doesn't affect all 4S iPhones, so there may have been a variation on them depending on where they were made and what chips were employed in the various manufacturing centres.

If you check out the web you will see that hundreds of thousands (600,000 on one website alone) have complained about this problem. This type of incident never happened in Steve Jobs' time at the helm of Apple. It will be interesting to see if Apple do anything about it.

With my iPhone, the problem has got progressively worse, i.e. reducing from 5 or 6 hours battery time to 2 hours, indicating that the degree of corruption is accumulating within the phone, and probably that the battery is getting progressively damaged.

I have spent many days now trying to resolve the problem without success. I have even deleted my mail accounts and turned off all applications. Even with no applications running the 'usage time' is equivalent to the 'standby time' every time I recharge.

It is even logging usage time when I put the phone to sleep (pressing the top right button), indicating that the system is not turning off when being put to sleep.

It's an issue that Apple have not been able to put right yet, either because they don't know how to or because they now have the Chinese mobile phone market in the bag, following their deal with the leading China Mobile phone company, which has a customer base of 670 million users, making us Rest Of the World Users peanuts.

Apple may have allocated their resources to this deal now and overstretched themselves to the extent that they cannot deal with this issue.

We can only wait and see

Downgrade or upgrading to iOS6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.