Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GB '11: how to choose input, and make it stay

I'm working on Garageband '11, and choosing the input source (built-in mic vs 1/8" jack) a little counterintuitive: I do it when I'm creating the track, and choosing Software Instrument vs. Acoustiv Instrument vs. Electric Guitar, right? And there's that "Instrument Setup" arrow?

Now: I'm laying down some bass through the 1/8" jack, and then I want to jump to some scratch vocal through the built-in mic, and back, and it seems like when create the new track for the scratch vocal and select the built-in mic, then the bass track forgets that I want to line in. How do I make the track's input stay where I want it? Or how do I toggle it back easily, without creating a new track?

thanks,

Norman

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 6:50 PM

2 replies

Jan 5, 2014 1:03 AM in response to normangreenman

normangreenman wrote:

when create the new track for the scratch vocal and select the built-in mic, then the bass track forgets that I want to line in.

the problem is not that "it forgets," it's that the input setting for GB is a global setting,

GB can only use a single input device at a time. if you want to change from the line-IN to the built-in mic, you need to open GB's prefs and change the setting under Audio/MIDI (and again to change back)

GB '11: how to choose input, and make it stay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.