Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have added some MP3 files to iTunes and there is a ! showing in front of the track name. I am also having trouble syncing these files to my iPad. Does this mean there is a problem with the files?

I have added some MP3 files to iTunes and there is an exclamation mark in a circle in front of the file name. I am also having trouble syncing them to my iPad. Is there something wrong with these files, and if so, how can I overcome it?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 5:04 AM

When you add a file to iTunes, how it handles it depends on the setting in Preferences>Advanced>'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to Library'.

If this is checked, iTunes makes a copy of the file in your Music library and it doesn't matter what you subsequently do with the original file.

However, if this is not checked (and it sounds as if it isn't in your case) iTunes doesn't make a copy, but simply references the original file. Therefore if you move or delete the original, iTunes loses contact with it and displays the ⚠ symbol you see. So you need either to put the files back where they originally were, or delete the songs in iTunes and reimport them having checked the checkbox referred to above.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2014 5:04 AM in response to Gransgarden

When you add a file to iTunes, how it handles it depends on the setting in Preferences>Advanced>'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to Library'.

If this is checked, iTunes makes a copy of the file in your Music library and it doesn't matter what you subsequently do with the original file.

However, if this is not checked (and it sounds as if it isn't in your case) iTunes doesn't make a copy, but simply references the original file. Therefore if you move or delete the original, iTunes loses contact with it and displays the ⚠ symbol you see. So you need either to put the files back where they originally were, or delete the songs in iTunes and reimport them having checked the checkbox referred to above.

I have added some MP3 files to iTunes and there is a ! showing in front of the track name. I am also having trouble syncing these files to my iPad. Does this mean there is a problem with the files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.