Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot turn off passcode, it's grayed out. Help!

My phone sort of froze and I was pushing the home and power button randomly to try to get it back on. Next thing I new it started to setup the phone all over again, but really just brought me to the passcode and touch id setup. I went ahead and setup the touch ID fingerprint and created a 6 digit passcode. Now I don't want my passcode. I went in to try to remove it and "Turn Passcode Off" is grayed out. I also can't change it to a simple passcode or change how often the passcode is required. I deleted my touch ID but none of these options reactivated. I do not have an Exchange email on my phone, nothing else changed from the time my phone was acting up to the time I setup the passcode. Any suggestions on how to turn it off? Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2014 4:20 PM

Okay I figured out why my "Turn Passcode Off" option was unavailable. What I did to turn it off was go into Settings~General~Profiles and I removed my Lock & Wipe profile. Once I did that I was immediately able to turn my passcode option off. However, I'm not sure if I'll now be able to turn the Lock & Wipe feature back on without having to set up another passcode. Disabling Lock & Wipe really isn't a good idea as it will make your phone less secure from theft. So I'll update you as to whether or not I was able to turn the Lock & Wipe feature back on without being required to set up another passcode.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2014 4:20 PM in response to MomofB

Okay I figured out why my "Turn Passcode Off" option was unavailable. What I did to turn it off was go into Settings~General~Profiles and I removed my Lock & Wipe profile. Once I did that I was immediately able to turn my passcode option off. However, I'm not sure if I'll now be able to turn the Lock & Wipe feature back on without having to set up another passcode. Disabling Lock & Wipe really isn't a good idea as it will make your phone less secure from theft. So I'll update you as to whether or not I was able to turn the Lock & Wipe feature back on without being required to set up another passcode.

Jun 12, 2014 4:10 PM in response to MomofB

Okay I'm in the same boat only my phone didn't freeze up at all. I had a passcode because my mom was snooping through my texts (I'm 42) and she's now moved out so I wanted to take off my passcode. I'm disabled so I don't work and/or have an exchange mail account. It seems every entry in the apple forums on this subject mentions resetting your device and/or removing an exchange email account. But, I can't find even one forum that actually fully addresses accessing the remove passcode option if it's greyed out in complete detail. Once the above two options have been recommended responses to the thread cease. Very frustrating.

I cannot turn off passcode, it's grayed out. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.