Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 refurb, battery drain, powers down using camera. Full restore done. Apple refuse to replace.

Bought iPhone 5 refurb 31st July 2013 to replace a smashed screen one. This one has a hardware problem whereby the battery drains really quickly. If below 30% and camera is used phone will shut down. Have restored as per instructions and still happens. Phone provider can't do anything as phone is a refurb and Apple only give a 1 month warranty on refurbs. Apple have confirmed it is a hardware problem but refuse to do anything based on their refurb warranty status and won't accept consumer law.

Anyone any ideas how this can be repaired as this is very disappointing service!

iPhone 5

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 3:45 AM

5 replies

Jan 5, 2014 4:22 AM in response to sjspas

I'm having a problem that, although different, is really the same issue. Apple refuses to work on these phones other than superficial repairs. All you get is excuse after excuse. I think your best bet is to find a private repair shop near you or search online for one. You could also try to fix it yourself if really want to learn how. You'd probably be able to pinpoint the issue to one or two components and replace them yourself. Research it online. It's pretty easy to open up the phone.

Other than that you could sell it on ebay and use the funds to buy a different phone.

I don't think you're going to find any technical help here on how to fix it.

Good luck.

Jan 5, 2014 6:36 AM in response to sjspas

If the device was an Out of Warranty replacement, it comes with a 90 day warranty or the remainder of the original factory warranty on the device being replaced, whichever is longer.

Regardless of warranty status, if the device has been opened (or attemtped to be repaired) by anyone other than Apple, Apple will no longer touch the device or offer an Out of Warranty replacement.

In your situation, which of the above applies? I suspect either some detail of the situation is not being shared here or you've chosen to be extremely rude when discussing this with Apple staff and gotten a completely understandable response from them.

Jan 5, 2014 6:54 AM in response to diesel vdub

1 year original warranty would have ended November 2013 so that's where the warranty ended. Obviously if I had original phone I could argue against my network provider under consumer law. As it stands with a refurb and it not being new I am without argument. It just seems disappointing that I've only had the refurb a little over 5 months and this happens through no fault of my own. Apple have confirmed a hardware fault but would only give 2 options, another refurb at £216 (compared to a store which states £179) or a new battery sent to me at a cost of £55 but with no idea how to replace.

I do have phone insurance but as the phone isn't technically broken as such I'm unsure whether to go down this route now or give up & go back to my iPhone 4.

Thanks all for your responses, it's much appreciated.

iPhone 5 refurb, battery drain, powers down using camera. Full restore done. Apple refuse to replace.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.