Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 1st Generation Apple TV will not sync content from iTunes 11.3.1

I've revived an old 1st generation Apple TV to put some movies onto for this kids whilst we go away on holiday. Just to simplfy things I reset the Apple TV for factory settings and linked to my iTunes (11.3.1) library on my iMac running 10.9.1.

All seems fine linking the Apple TV to my iTunes library, however when I choose content to sync (movies only, I disable everything else via the custom sync settings), nothing syncs. It just says in the iTunes window that it is syncing, but when I check the My Movies option on the Apple TV 'I get the message of there are no movies on this App,e TV'. I sure from past usage that the Itunes window gives a message of syncing movies 1 of 12, 2 of 12 etc as it is progressing, but nothing.

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 5:09 AM

58 replies

Jan 6, 2014 9:23 AM in response to MacMiner

Navigate to Settings > Computers > Your Library on the Apple TV, you may be told you will lose all synced content, but you can sync it back afterwards, you won't lose any purchased content that has yet to be transferred. Then select Settings > Computers > Connect To iTunes, note the passcode that appears on screen, click on the device in iTunes and enter the passcode when prompted.

Nov 1, 2014 5:42 PM in response to MacMiner

Apple TV 1 does not sync with iTunes 12.0.1

My Apple TV appears in the DEVICE section of iTunes, but it does not sync as there is no button other than APPLY. No sync action occurs when I hit APPLY button. I have tried to restart both Apple TV and computer and nothing seems to work. Do I need to update to YOSEMITIE and slow my computer even further?

Dec 1, 2014 1:12 AM in response to unique_rainer

Ha ... no. Apple don't really care about my old Apple TV1. Cant remember when they released an update for it and I find the new iTunes still a bit baffling.

I have removed my Apple TV 1 altogether and dusted off an old computer with an old version if iTunes which I use as my iTunes movie and TV show library. I sync when I need to ... otherwise that machine stays off.

I remember when all Mac products synced effortlessly ... those day's are gone!

My 1st Generation Apple TV will not sync content from iTunes 11.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.