Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crash!

Hi

I;ve got a problem with my old Mac Mini (10.2 machine, 10.4.11 OSX).

Today I tried to install the polish language plugin on my OS and in the middle of 5-th package, the installator stopped for an hour. I was unable to shut it down or manually restart the computer, so I did it by pushing the power button on the Mac.

After this, when I turned my coputer back on, the startup desktop showed up but there was no upper command menu and from the bottom menu I could pick up and click on every single icon, but none of them was working.

Now I can do nothing, even I can't shut down the computer normally.

My question is: is there anything that I can do?

If no, how can I format my disk and reinstall the OS? I must add that I put the OS installation disc into the machine but nothing happened and what's more I can't take it back now :/.

Please help!
Best regards

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 6:49 AM

19 replies

Jan 5, 2014 1:11 PM in response to piszu

Hi, thanks for your answers.

So far I managed to eject the disc (just normally, by pressing F12- eject on the keyboard while system was on).

Unfortunaltely I tried with the C key but nothing happens with the CD/DVD boot 😟 Same thing with Alt/Option 😟
I also managed to enter the user menu, but despite the option of turning the computer off/restart, there is not much more I can do :/

I will try some more things with C/ALT keys. Should I keep them pressed or hit it repeatedly?

Jan 5, 2014 1:28 PM in response to piszu

One more thing:

it seems that when computer is on the only things that are working (or try to) are ejecting of the CD and widgets. I can add and remove the widgets. Nevertheless the widgets themselves are not working.
I detached the ethernet cable also, but it didn't change anything... :/

The most annoying thing is that there is no option to boot from installation disc :/
Aren't there any options to do the hard format? Or force the boot from external source?

Jan 5, 2014 1:53 PM in response to Neville Hillyer

I don't know if it is still the problem during the startup, but the keyboard works correctly when the crashed system is opened. It has been working fine until today morning...

Every time I keep it pressed from the chime, it still flashes the startup loading bar of OS X and brings me to the desktop.

Is it important that I have a disc with 10.4.2 and the 10.4.11 is installed on the machine?

Crash!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.