Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new Mac Pro or 27" iMac

I apologize in advance for the length but I need some help in making a decision.

SITUATION:

I run a small business and currently have a Late 2012 21.5" iMac and two 23" monitors (3 screens total for running multiple applications and copy/pasting). My day-to-day includes always having 4-8 browser tabs open running external sites that I input order information into, a huge multi-thousand line Excel Spreadsheet (2008 MS Office for Mac), Google Voice tab open for phone calls/texts, Skype always open to talk to my technical team, Calendar, Notifications, Mail, etc... I keep most all emails because I have to search and refer to previous emails for customer issues, etc... so I have more than 10,000 emails in Mail. I take screenshots and screenvideos for our Help library at times as well. All day long I'm pretty much copying and pasting information to and from my spreadsheet to these other applications to process orders and using most of these applications simultaneously. I'm also backing up all data via Time Machine and Dropbox. Due to the volume or orders I process each day, I need my computer to be FAST!!!!

ISSUE:

My 21.5" iMac only has 8GB of RAM and is not user upgradable. I've had this iMac less than a year and I'm seeing the "colorwheel of death a lot", usually when copying and pasting, but sometimes other places as well. I think I need a more robust computer for reasons listed below, plus my wife's 7 year old iMac is on it's last leg so I'm planning on giving the 21.5" iMac to her and upgrading for my business.

Not that it happens all the time, but quite often an application will stop functioning and I have to Force Quit the application and reopen.

Each time I copy data from a cell in Excel it takes at least 5 seconds for the dotted line to appear around the cell indicating it's copied, so I have to be very careful not to paste the wrong data. This did not used to be the case. It would respond as fast as I could copy then paste. Excel and Word also take a lot longer to open and close than other programs.

When scrolling in various applications, sometimes the computer seems to stall then all of a sudden catch up and the page quickly scrolls to catch up.

I've run the Activity Monitor (which I know little about) and seen that I'm running normally 6.5-8GB of Memory Used. On the "DISK" tab often times my "Reads In" is higher than my "Reads Out" which I don't know if that's normal or not.

QUESTION:

I would like to know what you guys recommend for my situation.

Should I purchase a "beefed-up" 27" iMac with 16-32GB RAM or should I purchase one of the new Mac Pro models?

If Mac Pro, should I go with the 12GB Quad-Core or the 16GB Six-Core? (I realize I would have to purchase another monitor and microphone for phone calls).

I don't mind spending the money, but moreso I'm trying to get the right machine for my application without wasting money.

Thank you for your time and help to make this decision.

<*///><

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 7:17 AM

8 replies

Jan 8, 2014 6:58 PM in response to safewatch360

BUMP...I really need some input. I'm ready to buy but have some unanswered questions.

Maybe I can get some input from some of you experts, like Grant Bennet-Alder before I purchase.

Also last question I have (in addition to my above post) is can I connect Three 23" monitors (1920x1080) to the new Mac Pro? Will I need some sort of special adapters or something?

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2014 9:16 PM in response to safewatch360

The Mac Pro models feature Error Correcting Code (ECC) Memory. Eight additional check bits are generated on each Write to memory and checked on each Read. Single-bit errors are corrected in Hardware. Double-bit errors halt the machine on a distinctive kernel panic. There is no "It may be a memory problem". It works or it don't.

You can connect as many as 6 [Mini] DisplayPort displays. Up to two DVI displays connect easily, beyond two you need special adapters.

What is sounds like you need most is a Backup Computer -- one that you can use if your Main computer is not available. You may want to consider moving your files onto a Server or an Network Attached Storage NAS device and making them available to an alternate computer.

If this computer is at the heart of a money-making business, the cost should not be the driving force.

Jan 12, 2014 10:07 AM in response to safewatch360

January 9th, 2014 -- Final Cut Pro X 10.1 Shootout: 2013 Mac Pro vs 2010 Mac Pro

January 3rd, 2014 -- 'late 2013' Mac Pro 6-core versus 'mid 2010' Mac Pro 6-core

December 31st, 2013 -- Slowest 'late 2013' Mac Pro 4-core versus Fastest 'late 2013' iMac 4-core

December 28th, 2013 -- Does Final Cut Pro X 10.1 render faster on Mac Pro towers with Dual AMD GPUs? What about Motion 5.1?

December 16th, 2013 -- 'Late 2013' Retina MacBook Pro beats the 'Late 2013' iMac on Thunderbolt 1.0 Write Speeds

Good review on new vs old Mac Pro

My nMP Review (vs my old 4,1 Mac Pro)

I feel you outgrow an iMac sooner while almost impossible with Mac Pro (other than new software and such in 6 6yrs time) One is an investment and can be upgraded. No throttling (hopefully) and Haswell cpu while nice is not a 24/7 Xeon designed for the type of work loads.

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20131218_3-MacPro-CPU-choice.html

If it weren't for the fact that software in 6 yrs will require newer hardware to meet the demands, your nMP will still be going strong. Other than Apple dropping support for whatever OS X in 5-6 yrs instead of 8-10 years it would still be able to run and do what it is designed for for years to come. Say that about an imac that can be outgrown or "why did OS X 11.99 make my system slow?"

Nice photos: nMP FINALLY

Jan 13, 2014 6:16 AM in response to safewatch360

I hope you got minimal RAM or at least check price for 3rd party Crucial and others. $250 for 32GB vs Apple's $500 charge and OWC isn't much better at $450.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory/#1866-memory

Crucial 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR3-1866 RDIMM 1.5V Memory For Mac Pro Systems (Late 2013) CT2K16G3R186DM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GEC3ZJQ/

Mac Pro 2013

http://www.apple.com/support/mac-pro/

Four-channel DDR3 memory controller running at 1866MHz. It delivers up to 60GB/s of memory bandwidth.

Jan 13, 2014 7:00 AM in response to The hatter

Apple charges $100 to go from 12GB to 16GB in BTO. (Crucial on Amazon charges $69 for 4GB DIMM so that isn't really bad).

Usually we see memory prices from 3rd party fall in half in first year maybe less so if you can work with 16GB and then upgrade later, if you need to, and use that $500 instead on configurating some new external storage which you WILL need even more so.

That is how I would approach it.

Jan 13, 2014 9:09 AM in response to The hatter

Some more ideas I found on MacRumors:

1. If LR works anything like Aperture it will eat up all available RAM as a disk cache for your photo library. What you actually "need" for productive editing is probably in the neighbourhood of 8GB or less, so 16GB should be plenty. I got 32GB more for the future than immediate needs.

2. I would max out the internal SSD... If you're anything like me, 1TB is enough for OS/Apps and several months or more of photos. And the 1TB reads at 1260MB/s... It's super fast. The Promise is great for supplemental storage (eg archives, backups or media libraries). You can load it up with SSDs as well, but I'd start first with the internal. You may not need any more than 1TB. And Apples prices are not unreasonable for the SSD options (especially given the performance).

3. There's certainly some discussion going on around that. I think the performance for photo editing between a loaded iMac and entry level nMP would be unnoticable. The value prop of the iMac is really the value of the included display. The opposite, of course, is true for the nMP where it offers flexible choice for displays, now including 4K displays which is something I think would really benefit photography work more than anything else.

As more people get the nMP I'm sure we'll see LR performance tested on these things. I just don't know it well enough to properly evaluate it's performance.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18632718&postcount=214

new Mac Pro or 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.