Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing photos from My Book hard drive

I have tried repeatedly to access the photos from My Book hard drive. I am using the music in iTunes with no problem, but I am unable to access the photos via iPhoto.

I have tried opening the application using the alt button and when it asks if it should repair the library I have answered yes but it stays running the process for hours and then says the disk is locked and I do not have permission to access it.

I go to the disk, open the lock but I have no luck.

I am able to access it in my old Mac, but cannot do it in the new one, so I appreciate the help to fix this.

Thanks, Karen

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 8:47 AM

6 replies

Jan 5, 2014 9:05 AM in response to KAREN LA CONFUNDIDA

A MyBook Live DUo - according to Google - is a NAS or Networked Attached Storage. As you've just discovered you can't put an iPhoto Library on that devcie.

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, exporting, saving edits and sharing the photos.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note also the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

So, move the Library off that device.

Accessing photos from My Book hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.