Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes won't transfer my music to new phone the way it used to.

I replaced my 4s with a used 4s that was wiped clean when I got it. I restored from cloud to my last backup and it's all working but it didn't include music (not sure if it should have). When I try to manually transfer music by connecting to my itunes on the computer (using usb connecter) it says I need to "erase and sync" because the phone is already associated with an itunes account and list's the same one I'm using I think, the same one used with the old phone. It does say something about that account being on "(my son's) computer" but I belive it's the same since the old phone had been my son's and we have always used the same itunes. Will I loose everything including all the apps and settings I just re-set up by letting it do this? Will it effect the library in Itunes at all? The phone didn't have any music on it at all after setting it up with the last backup restore. But I have noticed that at some point while trying to set it up and move music from itunes a few (and I mean very few) songs were added. I'm not sure when or why and I can't figure out why nothing will transfer now. I don't even seem to be able to transfer ring tones onto the new phone. I'm sorry this is so long and I'm sure basic but I have been looking all over for the answer or something about this "message" and haven't been able to find anything and wanted to include a. I've learned the hard way not to just let itunes take over and start erasing things without knowing what will happen!

iOS 7.0.4, using itunes on PC

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 8:59 AM

4 replies

Jan 5, 2014 10:40 AM in response to gwynvt

gwynvt wrote:

I replaced my 4s with a used 4s that was wiped clean when I got it. I restored from cloud to my last backup and it's all working but it didn't include music (not sure if it should have).

Backups do not and have never included media.

Media is on the computer that the device normally syncs with.

iDevices sync to one and only one computer/library. Connect the device to the computer/library it normally syncs with and sync it.

Otherwise do as iTunes is prompting, erase the device and sync media/content from the new computer.

Jan 5, 2014 2:05 PM in response to diesel vdub

It is the same computer. But I don't mind doing it anyway as long as I am sure it is only media (music) from ituens and not any of my apps and photo's, settings etc. As I said it did put a few, very few, songs on it at some point but I have them in my library anyway. So My library won't be affected and only music on the phone?

Jan 5, 2014 3:53 PM in response to diesel vdub

My photo's are all copied and backed up I just don't really want to have to go through loading them all back again. The same with my apps. I have never used itunes for apps or pictures or anything other than music. I use the cloud for backups and have a home network drive for all of our document, photo backup and storage. I just want to know before I find out the hard way if by doing this I will have to spend a buch of time getting all of that stuff back on the phone again. Given I just spent time doing this I would probably wait to put music on it if saying yes to itunes request will mean having to do it all over again.

Again the only thing in my itunes is music I don't use it to backup the phone and I just spent a chunk of time loading the apps and settings...along with cleaning some stuff up and loading some photo's and stuff that weren't on the other phone yet. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about what I was asking or concerned about. I'm new and inexperienced with the iphone and itunes but not stupid...exactly why I'm asking the question, so I don't do something stupid I'm sorry for.

Itunes won't transfer my music to new phone the way it used to.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.