Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving music from Mac to Windows but says it can't find the songs

I was using an old Mac Book my husband gave me for itunes and iphone synching, but recently upgraded iphone and couldn't carry on with old Mac (OS 10.5.8)

It was a protracted journey to discover I could no longer use the Mac and in the meantime I'd loaded about 12 CDs onto the Mac ready to put on the phone. They never made it to the phone from the Mac for the reason above (I foolishly upgraded the phone before I'd got songs on there 😟)

So I wanted to move all that music from the Mac to my Windows 7 laptop. I updated itunes to latest version on the laptop.

Then to transfer the songs from Mac to Windows I burned them to DVD (I don't think you can transfer files from itunes on Mac to a USB stick).

I imported from the DVD to itunes on laptop, the songs are showing there.

But they won't play unless the DVD is in the drive and they won't transfer to the iphone.

I think it's because I need to copy the entire itunes folder from the Mac to the laptop (seen that somewhere else in these discussions).

BUT I don't know how to do that. I'm a Windows user primarily and I find Mac a bit tricky. I suspect the answer is really easy and obvious if you know how, so a bit of simple advice for a Mac novice will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

WendyWD

Mac OS X (10.5.8), Novice Mac user moving files

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 11:17 AM

Hello Wendy

Check out the article below to get your music from your MacBook to your Windows notebook. Try using Home Sharing to get the music over. You can use an external hard drive or USB Stick as long as it is formatted to FAT to read and write on both Mac and Windows.

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527

Regards,

-Norm G.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2014 11:17 AM in response to wendywd

Hello Wendy

Check out the article below to get your music from your MacBook to your Windows notebook. Try using Home Sharing to get the music over. You can use an external hard drive or USB Stick as long as it is formatted to FAT to read and write on both Mac and Windows.

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527

Regards,

-Norm G.

Jan 19, 2014 3:04 PM in response to norm123

Thank you so much Norm G for your advice. This certainly meant I could get the majority of my music successfully across to my new laptop, although there are some that still stubbornly refuse to play. However, I will just re-import those few directly from the CD I already have so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks again!

WendyWD

Moving music from Mac to Windows but says it can't find the songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.