Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Run Two Cinema Displays from a Mac Mini?

I've seen a few threads on this issue, but have yet to find a clear answer: so here goes...

My question is, will it be possible for me to run my two 2006-vintage Apple Cinema Displays (1 x 20" and 1 x 23") from a current generation Mac Mini?

The Mini seems to only have one useable port, the HDMI, and there is included in the box a HDMI to DVI adapter. So really the question is can I get two displays linked into the DVI-end of that adapter? Some sort of DVI-splitter, maybe? Or will the output from the Mini's HDMI port be insufficient to power 2 x Cinema Displays?

Anyone done this?

Jim

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 12:53 PM

Connect 20" to the HDMI port using the supplied HDMI to DVI adapter.

Then get a > Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, plug that into your Mac Mini's Thunderbolt/Mini Display Port and connect the 23" to it.

5 replies

Jan 5, 2014 3:47 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for your help, den.thed

Just one further question, though - doesn't that mean I lose out on other uses for the Mini's only Thunderbolt port?

My intention is to use the Mini as a replacement for my elderly Mac Pro, and I was planning to use some kind of Thunderbolt RAID setup to replace the several inetrnal and external HD's in my Mac Pro system

Maybe it's going to be a choice between having a RAID and having a second Display...

Also, can I ask why you suggest putting the 20" on HDMI? If it came to running a single monitor + Thunderbolt RAID setup, I'd like to have the 23" on the HDMI. Would that be problematic?

Jim

Jan 5, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Jim Stewart1

Jim Stewart1 wrote:

Just one further question, though - doesn't that mean I lose out on other uses for the Mini's only Thunderbolt port?

No, because Thunderbolt can be daisy chained. Just make sure that whatever Thunderbold Drive Enclosure you get, has dual Thunderbolt ports so that you can chain your second monitor to it.

see > Displays: Mini DisplayPort display must be last in a Thunderbolt chain

Also, can I ask why you suggest putting the 20" on HDMI? If it came to running a single monitor + Thunderbolt RAID setup, I'd like to have the 23" on the HDMI.

Mostly because the Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort supports higher resolutions than the HDMI port.

HDMI to DVI only supports 1920x1200

Thunderbolt port supports 2560x1600

Would that be problematic?

Not as long as the 23" monitors native resolution is 1920x1200 or less.

Jan 6, 2014 2:21 AM in response to den.thed

Hi den.thed

Sincere thanks for explaining this to me! My 23" is 1920 x 1200 native, so that's cool

Looks like the transition from my Mac Pro 1.1 to the Thunderbolt era will be quite straightforward!. Only question now really is whether to go with current aging Mini, or wait for the next version. But that's of course a question that only the toss of a coin can answer today...

Regards

Jim

Run Two Cinema Displays from a Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.