TS3367: iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTimeLearn about iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime
TS3367 My iMessage and FaceTime keep saying "There was an error during activation." I've tried everything that these groups say but it keeps saying that. What do I do?
Currently Being ModeratedTS3367 Re: My iMessage and FaceTime keep saying "There was an error during activation." I've tried everything that these groups say but it keeps saying that. What do I do?Jan 7, 2014 8:33 AM (in response to Cheerfox)
This information applies to when you receive the "An error occurred during activation" message when trying to activate FaceTime and iMessage. Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
These messages occur when your iPhone is trying to activate your phone number with iMessage or FaceTime.
To resolve these status messages, follow these steps. After each step, turn FaceTime and iMessage off and on again in Settings > Messages and Settings > FaceTime.
- Update to the latest version of iOS.
- Make sure that you have a cellular network connection with your cellular provider. You need a cellular network connection to activate iMessage and FaceTime with your iPhone phone number.
- Go to www.apple.com in Safari to make sure that you have a data connection. You need a data connection to activate iMessage and FaceTime with your iPhone phone number.
- Make sure that you can send and receive SMS. You need a valid SMS messaging plan to activate FaceTime and iMessage.
- Make sure that FaceTime hasn't been restricted: tap Settings > General > Restrictions > FaceTime.
- Set iPhone to the correct time zone: tap Settings > General > Date & Time.
Note: If Set Automatically is on but the incorrect time zone appears, turn Set Automatically off and choose the correct time zone, date, and time.
- Contact your carrier to verify that there are no restrictions, blocks, or filters on text messages. Restrictions, blocks, or filters on text messaging will prevent iMessage and FaceTime registration from completing.
If "Waiting for Activation" still appears after you perform these steps, turn FaceTime and iMessage off and on in Settings > Messages and Settings > FaceTime. You may need to wait up to 24 hours to complete activation. Most attempts will take less than an hour, but some attempts may take up to 24 hours. If your issue isn't resolved after 24 hours, please contact Apple for assistance. If you've recently performed a remote wipe on your iPhone, wait 24 hours from the time you performed the remote wipe, and then turn iMessage off then back on.You can still activate iMessage and FaceTime with your Apple ID when these status messages appear. You can see that you've activated FaceTime and iMessage with your Apple ID by tapping:
- Settings > FaceTime > You can be reached by FaceTime at:
- Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You can be reached by iMessage at:
Welcome to Apple Support Communities!
Currently Being ModeratedTS3367 Re: My iMessage and FaceTime keep saying "There was an error during activation." I've tried everything that these groups say but it keeps saying that. What do I do?Jan 7, 2014 9:32 AM (in response to Cheerfox)
Using FaceTime http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4319
Troubleshooting FaceTime http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3367
The Complete Guide to FaceTime + iMessage: Setup, Use, and Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation
iOS: FaceTime is 'Unable to verify email because it is in use'
Using FaceTime and iMessage behind a firewall
iOS: About Messages
Set up iMessage
iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage
How to Set Up & Use iMessage on iPhone, iPad, & iPod touch with iOS
Extra FaceTime IDs
Troubleshooting iMessage Issues: Some Useful Tips You Should Try
Setting Up Multiple iOS Devices for iMessage and Facetime
FaceTime and iMessage not accepting Apple ID password
Fix Can’t Sign Into FaceTime or iMessage iOS 7
FaceTime, Game Center, Messages: Troubleshooting sign in issues
Unable to use FaceTime and iMessage with my apple ID
How to Block Someone on FaceTime
My Facetime Doesn't Ring
Send an iMessage as a Text Message Instead with a Quick Tap & Hold
To send messages to non-Apple devices, check out the TextFree app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/text-free-textfree-sms-real/id399355755?mt=8
How to Send SMS from iPad
You can check the status of the FaceTime/iMessage servers at this link.
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points