Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

failed update to 10.9.1

This morning I updated from 10.6.8 to 10.9.1. Initially, the process appeared to be successful. After the system finished installing, it rebooted my MacBook Pro, with normal results. Next, I recalibrated my monitor.

After that, I updated SKitch from the App Store.

Next, I tried downloading the updates for Keynote, Numbers and Pages. This procedure din't progress, so I restarted the computer. WHen reboot started, I got the grey screen, and nothing else, no Apple logo, no spinning gear, no progress bar.

I called Tech Support and they had me restart in Safe mode, but that failed. Then they had me do Command-R after hitting the Power Button, and I ran Disk Utilities. The repair said that the drive is fine. At the bottom of the First Aid panel, the notices said:

"The volume hadar appears to be OK.

Volume repair complete.

Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required." The last notice never changed, even after waiting for more than a half hour.

Upon Restart, the computer hung in the grey screen again, with only the Apple logo and spinning gear.

Anyone have any suggestions, beside Restore Volume?

Thanks,

Nicky

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 1:58 PM

2 replies

Jan 7, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Nicky McCatty

Hello Nicky McCatty,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information on this, take a look at:

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2570

Reset the NVRAM / PRAM.

1. start up your Mac while holding the C key to start from the disc.
  2. In Disk Utility, perform a permissions repair as well.

1. Perform an Archive and Install installation

Best of luck,

Mario

failed update to 10.9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.