Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Who else lost sleep ability after upgrading the HDD on their PowerBook/iBook?

The title says it all.

I did the upgrade two years ago or so, but only now got the idea to ask here.

I replaced a Toshiba 40GB 4200rpm HDD with WD 320GB 5400rpm IDE drive in an ibook G4, mid 2005.

I checked the power consumption in the manufacturers specs. If they are right the new drive does not draw more power at start up or in stand by, than the old drive.

Symptoms: when sleep is activated in energy settings or you choose "Go to sleep" from teh menu manually, the white lid light flashes one time and the iBook goes dead. You have to disconnect the battery and the power chord, after that it will start again. No PMU reset does cure this.

I have another ibook G4, where the dirve was already upgraded to a Samsung 160GB, when I got it, and that does not have the sleep issue.

Thanks!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), PowerMac G4 AGP or Gigabit Ethernet

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 4:41 AM

Unfortunately I believe you are kind of stuck. The iBook if I recall uses a PRAM capacitor on the logicboard. That means a logicboard replacement or power supply replacement to fix matters. It is possible in replacing the hard drive, you accidently released some static electricity and damaged one of the components that helps it sleep.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2014 4:41 AM in response to lime-iMacG3

Unfortunately I believe you are kind of stuck. The iBook if I recall uses a PRAM capacitor on the logicboard. That means a logicboard replacement or power supply replacement to fix matters. It is possible in replacing the hard drive, you accidently released some static electricity and damaged one of the components that helps it sleep.

Jan 6, 2014 6:39 PM in response to a brody

You think I really have to exchange the DC-IN-Board or could that http://www.fixya.com/support/t1660953-replace_clock_battery_ibook_g4_laptop as well do the trick?

Also found this helpful link http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=1884

On ifixit, I got the usuall "did you try PMU reset? did you re-install the OS?" answers. The standard answer by Apple-Users "did you reset the PRAM/PMU", just like the standard Apple-tech-support answer way back in the days was "replace the Logic Board" (even if it was a faulty PSU in a MDD G4.) 🙂

Who else lost sleep ability after upgrading the HDD on their PowerBook/iBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.