Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your Apple ID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time.

Hi,

I'm really confused, because I think this worked for me before I updated to 10.9.1.

I recently reformatted my hard drive, because the boot sector crashed. After reformatting, I updated the OS to Mac OS X 10.9.1. I got that installed, and more recently wanted to get iMessage set back up. Once I did this, it asked me to put in my Apple ID and Password (I already had iCloud set up). When I hit Sign In, I got this:

Your Apple ID "******@******.com" can't be used to set up iMessage at this time.

If this is a new Apple ID, you do not need to create another one. To use this Apple ID with iMessage, contact iMessage support with the code below

Customer Code: 8154-7242-4564

I haven't called anyone yet, so I came here instead. I had iMessage set up before I reformatted, and it worked perfectly fine. My iPod touch's iMessage is working fine as well. I also noticed that in the iCloud settings, iMessage didn't appear there as things to sync (Although I can't remember if that was the case before updating to 10.9.1).

Does anyone have any idea of what may be the cause of this?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 3:49 PM

31 replies

Jan 6, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Gandalf1209

I get the same error and message. I have really no clue what happend. iMessage on my iPhone and iPad works great. On my Macbook Pro it doesnt seem to work. I tried everything, Reinstalled Mavericks and even as last resort, downgraded to Mountain Lion. On my iPhone and iPad I changed my iMessage settings and also removed iCloud and iMessage as a sort of reset but nothing changed. The issue with iMessage on my mac did nog change,

Anyone any idea?

May 12, 2014 12:40 PM in response to Gandalf1209

Hey Gandalf1209,

I got the same problem too. However, I managed to make it work. We have a different scenario on how it started because mine happened after installing OS X 10.9.2. This is what I did:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Go to iTunes Store.
  3. Sign In using your Apple ID (same ID that you were using for Messages).
  4. Authorize your computer :: Store > Authorize This Computer...
  5. Fill in fileds using your Apple ID & Password.
  6. Click Authorize.
  7. Open Messages.
  8. Sign In with your Apple ID & Password.

After doing these steps, Messages started to work and stopped giving me the Error Message with the Code. I hope this helps you. Have a great one!

Aug 29, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Gandalf1209

Im on the phone with an Apple Care rep now regarding this same issue. At first the Apple Care rep gave me the spiel of my MBP being out of warranty. After I explained to her that it is not a MBP issue but a software/server issue with iMessage she then replied with "Okay...I will allow this tech call this one time...blah, blah, blah.." Waited a few moments for a MBP tech advisor and he asked for the Validation/Customer Code that was on my screen from the error message and needed to verify the version of my MBP and verify some things on his end. He asked for my Apple ID and that was it! I re-signed in to iMessage ad it worked.

So definitely call the number noted on the Contact Support page and have your Validation Code ready.

MacBookPro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Sep 7, 2014 12:33 PM in response to Gandalf1209

I'll just add to the thread in case others are looking for a resolution.

I went through one advisor who stated that the problem was due to "too many Apple devices" with my Apple ID and that I should deauthorize one or more devices to make this work. This didn't ring true; so I went through the expresslane.apple.com and referenced the original case #. The advantage of chat is that it allows you to provide links (e.g. to this thread) and screenshots which is not possible over the phone.

In any case, the advisor on the chat set up a call with a senior advisor who called me back in about 15-20 minutes. He verified a few details on my account, asked to log in to iMessages - and it worked. Apparently the problem is that if an error is encountered during the registration of a particular device with the iMessage/FaceTime server (in this case a Macbook Air) the device cannot subsequently be registered with the server from the client side. It must be "force registered" from their side. the customer code that the application provides was vital to resolving the issue.

Sep 8, 2014 8:53 AM in response to Gandalf1209

I had the same problem after having iMessage work on my MBP for a long time.

I called the help number and gave my MacBook serial number.. but they said it was out of warranty and wouldn't transfer me to a tech. I recently bought an iPad mini which I knew was still under warranty, so I called back and gave that serial number pretending I was having a problem with that instead.

I told them that since I bought the iPad mini, my macbook iMessage didn't work. I gave the tech the service number that appeared with the error on my macbook, and he fixed the problem on their end.

Total call time was about 10min.

Hope this idea helps if you don't have apple care, or are out of warranty.

Your Apple ID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.