Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple tell me where my phone was at the time I successfully used the "play sound" feature?

I misplaced my phone last night and used the play sound function to try to find it. I received two email confirmations saying the sound played successfully, but the radius that find my iPhone app gives me is about a mile wide. Is there any way apple can give me better estimate of location?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 3:36 PM

No, sorry. The location is what it is. Apple actually will not get involved at all with lost or stolen personal property, but even if they did, they'd only have the same location information as you already have. That is what the phone's location services transmitted, so that is as good as it gets.

8 replies

Jan 5, 2014 3:41 PM in response to Mcr727

Given the large radius it reported, it sounds like it is lost indoors somewhere. In that case, it likely cannot even use GPS since the satellite signals are probably blocked. So it will be relying on cell tower data and/or wifi node location data, both of which are only usually very approximate means of determining location. In that case, location services on the phone simply cannot determine the location with precision, unfortunately.

Jan 5, 2014 3:45 PM in response to Michael Black

One more bit of information. It initially gave me a more detailed location when the phone was still active, including an estimated address. Now that the phone is inactive, the radius is larger and no address provided. Location was about 2 blocks from my apartment, in a place I had not been. Makes me think I dropped it on the street as I was getting out of a car with a lot of bags, and someone picked it up. If it has a pass code and I attempted to mark as long mode, is it relatively safe in terms of data access?

Mar 2, 2014 7:05 AM in response to Michael Black

Michael, I recently had a phone stolen and received an email that said the phone was located at 10:05pm. We were wide awake at at time and had not received that email to close to 2am. Anyway I just got a new phone and setup find my phone. It just sent a sound to my phone, the accuracy is excellent but the time is 3 hours different. I am in EST. How can I adjust it so that the time stamp is correct? Or, is it as I have read in other posts that Apple time is PST and that's it? Thank you in advance for your help.

Can Apple tell me where my phone was at the time I successfully used the "play sound" feature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.