Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 charger cables keep giving out.

First, I want to know if I'm the only one having problems with this. I've been through FOUR iphone 5 charger cables, and I've only had the phone for a little over a year. They all got this bunching beneath the head of the cable where it plugs into the phone, then the chaging became erratic, it ping-ponged between charging and not charging, when no one was touching it. Evenually the phone wouldn't charge at all.

When I took the cable to the Genius bar, the tech informed me the bunching and resulting malfunction was because I didn't remove the cable correctly. He said you need to grip the head of the cable and pull it loose from there, not by the cord. That's how I usually do it--gripping the base and not the chord--but I said okay and was extra mindful with the new cable.

Then the bunching happened again, faster this time! And it happened regardless of my being careful with how I removed it. Then it happened again, and AGAIN. I'm really growing tired and frrustrated with throwing money at these cables. I had an HTC Hero for over four fricken years and only had one cord the entire time. Are these things faulty or something? Is there another cause for the bunching?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 4:24 PM

Yes, this has been an issue in the past...seemed like Apple changed suppliers because there have not been many posts recently about this failure...all were the same, at the Lightning connector. Be sure you do not get a third-party cable because they seem to be even more sensitive. You might try wrapping a little electrical tape around the connector/wire junction to add support, and be very carful about insertion/removal of the connector.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2014 4:24 PM in response to LMcKinney03

Yes, this has been an issue in the past...seemed like Apple changed suppliers because there have not been many posts recently about this failure...all were the same, at the Lightning connector. Be sure you do not get a third-party cable because they seem to be even more sensitive. You might try wrapping a little electrical tape around the connector/wire junction to add support, and be very carful about insertion/removal of the connector.

Feb 2, 2014 10:03 PM in response to LMcKinney03

Ya this issue is alive and well. My own cord, my work phone cord, my girlfriends cord, and my bosses cord have all broken in the past month and all in the same spot. Apple can't deny this glaring issue on their part. They are just going to have to bite the bullet and replace them for free when they break on people. Either that or lose their customers.

May 3, 2014 6:23 PM in response to LMcKinney03

I've had the same problem and on my 2nd cord in less than a year. I think there needs to be a class action lawsuit brought against Apple for defect equipment. You know they could design a better cable. I looked into buying a bunch of cheapies on Amazon but was told they won't necessarily work because Apple has some properitary design related to their cables.

iPhone 5 charger cables keep giving out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.