Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring a backup to an iphone problems

Hello there, I really would like some help if possible. I went to restore my iPhone just so it could restart and could be fresh and clean. Now earlier i put some music on itunes and synced it to my phone. Now I believe whenever you sync or plug in your iphone to the computer it automatically backs up. I sycned my music and everything no problem. Then afterwards, that's when I restored my iPhone. I have a few backups from last year almost 8 months ago. Now when I went to select what back up file to use, i chose the most recent one and it brought it back to the 8 month ago file. Even though there was a file that listed 1:02 PM today, it was restoring my iPhone from 8 months ago with no new information, apps, contacts. i tried restoring it again and same thing. I don't have any of my 63 apps, and of the documents or data, nothing. Just the 8 months ago information. Can you help me figure out how to restore it with all my information from this morning? I've been trying to work on this all day since then and it's 9 PM now, so you can see my frustration a little. Please help

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 6:02 PM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2014 6:09 PM in response to driverx12693

If you restore from the backup that was 8 months old, that overwrites the information that was on the phone this morning. There is no way to restore from one backup and still keep information from another backup - or any current information that is on the device. The information from this morning is gone now. You overwrote it.

You should be able to sync all of your apps, photos, movies, TV shows and any other media that is in iTunes on your computer, but your current data (documents, files, device settings) from this morning is gone now. Apps, movies, photos, etc are not included in the backup. They have to be synced back using iTunes.

Jan 5, 2014 6:17 PM in response to Demo

No, that's not it. I had backups from the months ago, but did not overwrite the current one. When i restored the latest one, it brought my iphone up as a new phone. And now it is only restoring from that spot. It's not that it overwrote it, i selected it and it just never took. I still have another backup from november, but the same thing happens when i chose that one. It went had my pictures that i recently had, but none of the new apps since then. And none of the pictures are saved on itunes or anything like that. so the info isn't overwritten as far as i can tell. And then with at least the apps, it should show that i purchased them with the app store and that isn't happening either.

restoring a backup to an iphone problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.