Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble locating music when opening ITunes and connecting to networked Hard Drive

I recently loaded about 1 TB of music on an external hard drive connected to my home network. I primarily use a table PC (Motion) which I take back and forth from work each day. My problem is this, when I open Itunes and attempt to play a song, it says "can't locate file, do you want to locate file" (or something like that). I have to go through the process of finding each song and opening it from the hard drive. Is this the way this is supposed to work? It seems like after the multiple days it took to read all of the files and get the artwork organized in the Itunes library I should be able to click and play with little or no delay. Is there something I am not doing right?

Thanks,

Del Dobbs

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 5, 2014 7:53 PM

2 replies

Feb 4, 2014 12:40 PM in response to Dalhart

Does the drive have a different path on each computer? Is the library in a portable shape, that is an iTunes folder with the database files containing an iTunes Media folder with the media. Assuming everything is in a reasonably sensible layout you should be able to fix your broken links with my script FindTracks.

For the long run see my tips on making a split library portable.

tt2

Trouble locating music when opening ITunes and connecting to networked Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.