Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer files into Time Capsule server via ethernet?

Hello,

I intend to use my Time Capsule as to perform backups and a file server. I have been using it for backups only and now I want to move files from my external hard drive into the TC for storage so that I would be able to stream the files over wireless connection. I have bought a thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter and plugged it in between my TC and my MacBook Air to enable fast transfer of files and backups. I am however baffled when I found out the transfer of files (900 gb) is going to take approximately 78 days to complete. It seems to me that the file transfer is going on over wireless connection instead of thunderbolt gigabit ethernet connection by default when the adapter is plugged in. Appreciate if someone could guide me through to solve the problem.

Note: All softwares are up-to-date and my wireless connection is a shared wireless connection, meaning that my TC only serves a backup station.

AirPort Time Capsule-OTHER, 2 Tb

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 4:51 AM

11 replies

Jan 6, 2014 1:51 PM in response to imshook

Turn off wireless.. as long as you are backing up files you must do it by forcing wireless off.. although in theory having ethernet higher than wireless in the network list should force connection by ethernet.. my experience is that.. theory is great.. if you keep it in a book.. in practice it fails miserably.

YMMV.

Moving your files to the TC has consequences..

Please be aware that TC has no backup.. and TM cannot backup network drives.

The TC spins up slowly on demand.. and spins down quickly. You will have continual disconnections .. some disconnections like iphoto will cause corruption of the library.

Jan 7, 2014 7:15 AM in response to LaPastenague

When I turn off the wireless of my MBA, Airport Utility fails to find the TC. Any further backup or file transfer could not be done. The thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter has not been any useful so far. Resetting the TC over and over does not help either. That includes attempt to turn it off and on after 10 sec interval. I have been having problems with my TC since Day 1. Though I never want to give up on it because it cost me a **** lot. Appreciate your next guidance / assistance, mate.

Jan 7, 2014 12:01 PM in response to imshook

What OS are you running on the MBA?

Did you upgrade install Mavericks?

You must get the thunderbolt to gigabit adapter working properly.

Please test by just using it with your modem or another computer to measure internet speed and passing a file between computers.. you need to ensure you are getting full gigabit LAN connection.

If you have no luck ring Apple support and get them to talk you through the whole setup. It sounds like you have really had a poor experience with the TC. You want to test it as well as you can so you get some idea of what is to be expected.

Jan 7, 2014 6:19 PM in response to LaPastenague

I would say the culprit is the TC, though I will follow your advice to try to the make sure the adapter works with another modem / device to the expectation. And like I have mentions earlier, all the software are up-to-date, it's OS Mavericks. Also I would like to mention that whenever the TC gets successfully connected to my MBA, it will eventually get disconnected during a backup. It never ceased to **** me off everytime. I will try to get some help from an Apple expert by hands-on.

Feb 27, 2014 2:51 AM in response to imshook

Hey buddy, I've found out that my thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet adapter is actually working fine.

So I've connected my external hard drive to the TC and ethernet cable to my MBA via thunderbolt gigabit ethernet adapter with the intention to transfer the movies from the external hard drive to the TC and store the movies inside the TC server so that I would be able to stream the movies from anywhere.

However, I tried to turn off the Wi-Fi and found out and that the transfer couldn't be done since the TC could not be found anywhere. How do I go about it?

Feb 27, 2014 10:56 AM in response to imshook

Mount the TC disk manually.

In Finder use Go, Connect to server.

Type in the following.

AFP://TCname.local (TCname is the actual network name of the TC. I strongly recommend you use SMB names.. ie short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric)

Find out the Network version of the TC name if you don't want to comply to the above rule. The best way is to discover it via netstat scan.

Open network utility.

User uploaded file

Locate your TC on it.. since my TC is correctly named it shows up as tcgen4.local

I then type in AFP://tcgen4.local

Then the computer can discover the TC and it will ask for a password. The default is public

Type in whatever you changed it to or public.

The TC disk should now be mounted.

If this fails.. reset the TC to factory and start over. Name it correctly.. all short names, no spaces and pure alphanumeric will be a lot lot easier.

Then manually force the mounting.

Apr 13, 2014 3:14 AM in response to LaPastenague

After a few weeks of turning off the TC , now I can't seem to connect ot it anymore. Hard reset does not seem to work either; somehow the tiny little button at the back of the TC seems unbothered at presses. The amber llight does not stop flickering slowly and never going to turn to green at anytime soon (hours and days). How do I go about this?

Apr 13, 2014 3:47 AM in response to LaPastenague

I've read through the discussion link you've provided me (thanks!) and have successfully set ipv6 to link-local on both the ethernet (if applicable) and wireless on your computer. However, after numberous attempts to factory-reset it still does not work. Amber light slowly flickers. What's next? Can't jump to other steps without a reset, can I?

Refer these images:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Thanks a lot.

Apr 13, 2014 9:37 AM in response to imshook

I've tried to hard reset the TC over and over again and it simply won't work. Amber light flickering annoyingly slowly.

Please help, LaPastenage. I've been having nothing but problems since using this TC. I haven't been able to do an entire backup since February 2014. I just want to make use the least of it cause it has cost me a lot of money. It can't be a useless piece of product, can it? and you've been the only one here who's very helpful.

How to transfer files into Time Capsule server via ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.