Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videochat does not work in Messages - Connection test shows symmetric routertype

Hello community!

After upgrading my system to Maverick, I tried to use Messages for my chatting. When I try to start videochat, I cannot select the "Invite to Videochat" option in the menu.

After running the connection test feature of the settings tab, I receive the information that my router-type is set to symmetric. I also get the information, that the videochat feature requires a router-type full-cone.

With Yahoo directly I can videochat with some people, but not with all of them. Also I need to be invited to their cam to videochat. The most chatting friends cannot even invite me to a videochat nor I can invite them.

I searched the net for hints, how to change the router-type of my vodafone easybox 803 but had no luck so far. Also I contacted vodafone support for a walkthrough solution, but have not received an answer yet.

I probably need to mention, that I am using Net Barrier from Intego as a firewall solution.

Can someone tell me how I can change my easybox to a full-cone router?

Which are the necessary changes in the router configuration (NAT, DMZ etc.)?

If Net Barrier is the reason for this problem, how can I change the settings in Net Barrier for chatting applications to allow videochats (Messages, Yahoo etc). Skype is working fine by the way.

Hope I can find a solution for my problems.

Many thanks to veryone who answers.

Wolfgang

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 4:46 AM

1 reply

Jan 6, 2014 2:12 PM in response to Wolly_S

Hi,

Item 1)

Messages can join five different types of Service

Bonjour

AIM

Jabber

Yahoo and lastly

iMessages.

Bonjour is for LAN based Mac to Mac chats (it will do Video and Audio Chats)

AIM includes Apple IDs that are valid AIM name (Issued by Apple @mac.com and iCloud issued @me.com and @ilcoud.com).

Jabber includes Google talk ID and Facebook Chat IDs as well as Jabber IDs from other servers.

AIM and Jabber accounts can do Video Chats (and Audio Only)

Yahoo is a Text only option and works with actual Yahoo IDs only (despite the Yahoo App working with various others).

iMessages is text only

When you use the Video icon top left of the main Chat interface it will invoke FaceTime (and presume you and your Contact are using the same IDs in FaceTime)

Your router does not have to be Full Cone.

it just that this is the preferred option and the Connection Doctor will go green if your device is.

Mine says Port Restricted.

User uploaded file

Basically they refer to the different ways different routers will do NAT.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation#Methods_of_port_transla tion

If you are running the Mac Firewall and another Firewall on the computer these will need to allow the ports Messages uses.

In the Mac version (System Preferences> Security and Privacy > Firewall Tab) you have to Unlock the pane and enable the Firewall then Click the Option Button and then the Allow Signed Software box.

You then need to add Messages to the list (Click the + button and navigate to Applications to select it.).

Starting Messages will add IMAgent to the list (the System does this for you).

Basically the app can then tell the Firewall what ports it is using.

Your Net Barrier app might be different in set up and need to list all ports.

Open port 16384 - 16403 for all Video and Audio ports used in Messages and FaceTime.

The router may have several options about Method.

Port Forwarding needs the computer to stay at one IP.

It then needs to list a port from the WAN side to the LAN side pointing it to one IP (Computer)

You may be able to set groups on some devices.

Basically it isolates the listed ports to one Computer at the exclusion of all others.

Messages has about 20 or so ports and some tables on the set up pages don't allow this many.

DMZ is an Extreme form of Port Forwarding.

It opens all 65535 ports to one IP at the exclusion of others.

Port Triggering needs "listening" Ports to be set that then list other ports that will be opened when data arrives.

Does allow multiple devices to use the same ports at the same time

UPnP allows the computer (apps) to tell the router which Ports to open.

It allows multiple devices to use the same ports at the same time.

Generally it is an On/Off setting.

Skype cheats.

Most routers and Firewall allow some basic ports to be open whatever.

It means you can Web Browse (port 80 and 443) and send and get mail (loads of different ones) and FTP (upload web pages/port 21 and 22) Out-of-the-Box.

If you open up the Skype Preferences it will tell you which port should be open.

If it is not Skype uses "Fall back" ports which generally means port 80.

Although this site is about Port Forwarding it does come with pictures

However it does not list an EasyBox 803

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Vodafone/default.htm

With routers for ISPs like this you often find it has Branded software on it.

The other orange blob in my pic is because in Messages > Preference > Video > Bandwidth Limit I have it set to 500kbps.

I have an Fibre Optic service at 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

This means I can send data much faster then some people can collect it.

Restricting Messages to 500kbops means this does not happen.

It also smooths out any variation your service might have.

The Min for 4 way Video chats is 384kbps.

I.e. it also works whilst Orange/Amber

This page lists all the iChat 3 ports (there were more of them)

This page lists all the FaceTime and iMessages ports.

User uploaded file

10:12 pm Monday; January 6, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Videochat does not work in Messages - Connection test shows symmetric routertype

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.