Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iTunes sync to my iPhone?

Recently my iTunes won't sync to my iPhone 4 and I really don't know why. Usually it will do it straight away and I know when it's syncing but it just keeps coming up with these error messages: "iTunes could not connect to the iPhone *** because the device timed out." and this message will appear most times or the other messages which I can't remember right now what they said. Any help as to what I can do would be amazing! All I want to do is sync my music to my phone but I obviously can't do that unless it syncs! ARGH! Help me please!!

Thank you so much!

Lauren

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 6:39 AM

Try connecting to a different USB port. If you are using a USB hub try a port directly on the computer. If your computer is a desktop or tower case try a port on the back rather than the front.

Also try rebooting your phone (Apple calls it a "reset") by holding the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time until an Apple logo appears.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2014 6:39 AM in response to laurenh321

Try connecting to a different USB port. If you are using a USB hub try a port directly on the computer. If your computer is a desktop or tower case try a port on the back rather than the front.

Also try rebooting your phone (Apple calls it a "reset") by holding the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time until an Apple logo appears.

Jan 6, 2014 7:20 AM in response to laurenh321

Other troubleshooting steps include:

• Reboot the computer
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall on your computer
  • Disconnect all other USB devices except keyboard and mouse
  • Reinstall iTunes (see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923 for Windows; for Mac just download from http://apple.com/itunes and run the installer)

Retry syncing after each step.

Jul 12, 2014 7:52 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have same problem with new iPhone 4S, using the Apple cable that came with it. I had some pocket lint in the port and think I got it all out very carefully with tweezers, but that could have first been blocking connectivity and now be causing it through damage to a pin (but doubt it).

Then I tried the reset idea (Sleep + Home) at first it did not seem to do anything but after I held it for a while longer it did show the Apple logo that other describe as the proof of reboot. Then the little phone icon showed up on my iTunes GUI.

(FYI, if you hold the Home + Sleep then let go of sleep, it will take a "Picture" of your phone display and put it in with your other photos. Cool!)

Why won't my iTunes sync to my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.