Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted OS X window

By accident, my big fingers hit some key combo that has resulted in a perculiar window opening that I can not close. It is in a white frame, with black background and white letters. It seems to be an OS window that shows commands, such as switching from program to program or selecting a file. On a web site, there is an additional window that outlines the selections that I make.

I can not figure out how to get rid of this annoying window.

Any one have any insights or advice?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 32 gb OWC ram, 1 TB HD

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 7:09 AM

9 replies

Jan 6, 2014 8:15 AM in response to Iatros55

Sounds like you opened a Help menu. Isn't there a little close button at the upper left?

If you can't close it, take a screen shot of the box so we can see what it it. The screen shot will be saved (by default) to your desktop. Then use the camera button to post the image.

User uploaded file

To take a screen shot:

Command+Shift+3 (takes a shot of the entire screen)

Command+Shift+4 (gives you a crosshair cursor so you can marquee just the area of the screen you want to grab)

Command+Shift+4, then Spacebar (turns the cursor into a camera, and you then click on the window element you want a shot of)

Jan 7, 2014 7:22 AM in response to Iatros55

Here is the screen shot. Notice the black window along the bottom. No, there is no close symbol that I can find, and standard and expanded close commands don't work. Not a help file, but probably some kind of OS X debug file as it shows the results of keystrokes, e.g., the movement of the onscreen cursor among the programs and within the program screens.

Unwanted OS X window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.