Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder will not find preference files, etc.

When I use Finder to search for particular files, it quite often does not find them — this is particularly true for preference files such as .ini ones — whereas the 3rd party application 'EasyFind' does find them. But I should like to be able to use the Mac's own finder.

I am confused about the right settings in Finder preferences. My computer's name is 'Michael's Mac mini'. My home folder is called 'MichaelGraubart'. My hard disk is (unsurprisingly) called 'Macintosh HD'. For the most comprehensive searches, to which of these three should I set Finder/Preferences/General?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 8:22 AM

6 replies

Jan 6, 2014 12:54 PM in response to Event Video Guy

Thank you very much, both of you. But could I repeat the second part of my question?

'I am confused about the right settings in Finder preferences. My computer's name is 'Michael's Mac mini'. My home folder is called 'MichaelGraubart'. My hard disk is (unsurprisingly) called 'Macintosh HD'. For the most comprehensive searches, to which of these three should I set Finder/Preferences/General?'

Thanks in anticipation of further answers.

Finder will not find preference files, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.