Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The right side of my earpod stopped working.

Any suggestions to make it work?

Earpod-OTHER

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2015 8:51 AM

Wow, I never expected this would actually work!!

I thought It must have something to do with the design of the earphones or similar since the loss of sound happened on two pairs on the same side

I had tried cleaning before the mesh, but what I did diferentlly this time is that I did it more vigorously with an old toothbrush.

Results were immediate because I had moved the balance on the Accessibility setting on my iPhone to hear properly. Once cleaned sound level increased and I had to rearrange to the original balance.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2015 8:51 AM in response to rubengouvea

Wow, I never expected this would actually work!!

I thought It must have something to do with the design of the earphones or similar since the loss of sound happened on two pairs on the same side

I had tried cleaning before the mesh, but what I did diferentlly this time is that I did it more vigorously with an old toothbrush.

Results were immediate because I had moved the balance on the Accessibility setting on my iPhone to hear properly. Once cleaned sound level increased and I had to rearrange to the original balance.

Aug 21, 2017 10:00 AM in response to rubengouvea

One of the EarPods not working ?

How bad do you love them ?

Well if you love them this much then take the non working earpod and put it in your mouth. Don't tell me ewwww because this takes less than 5 seconds but it works instantly. Now gently lick the grill. And then gently suck back your saliva.

You have just moistened the accumulated wax from your ear 👂 and then gently sucked it back out. Now we are not talking a dog lick just a gentle lick.

Worked in 5 seconds !!!

Feb 15, 2015 12:49 PM in response to rubengouvea

Hey,

I've had the same problem...just found out it was an accumulation of ear wax. Even if your ears are clean, when you put the earpods in, it heats up and happens to land where the sound comes out.

I found a solution that works pretty good for me: i dip the top of the earpod in 70% alcohol (it evaporates really quickly so no chance to mess it up) and let it work for about 10 seconds. When it's done, i take a tissue and remove the excess. Do that a couple of times and my earpods are like new.

Good luck with that!

Jul 3, 2015 12:40 PM in response to rubengouvea

honestly mine stopped working due to the white circle that holds the end of headphone plug has broken off a bit so this is why it doesn't work on the right side of the headphone. This product no offense to apple, unfortunate doesn't work. Spending 80+ bucks each time the headphones go out is not in my budget limit. hope you the best. very fragile. each pair alone cost 40+ and buying one every 6 months can be quite expensive over time. i suggest just buy yourself a good pair for 200 or so so they would last and make sure they have 5 years warranty.

May 23, 2014 4:30 PM in response to rubengouvea

Hi,

This is what I have found with the Apple earpods specifically. I've had two pairs and both have stopped working properly over time. Both pairs have had the volume in the left side go quiet. It appears like the large opening has very low or muffled sound but the smaller grille on the side of the earpods has sound coming out.

I use my earpods a lot at night in bed, often falling asleep with them in. This results in a warming of the wax in the ears and a thin almost imperceptible film, builds up on the grille, effectively muting the sound. I was very sceptical that this was causing the issue as my earpods looked very clean, even on extremely close inspection.

I have found this procedure works best if you wear the earpods for a while, to warm up the wax film and then remove them from your ears and brush the main grille repeatedly with firm but gentle pressure using a toothbrush ( I used an old one, but if you love the flavour of earwax, feel free to use your current one! ). You're not trying to force the bristles through the grille, just to brush the wax off. You should find that 'bits' will form on the grille itself and then they will be brushed off.

You will be surprised how much difference a small amount of wax removal will make.

Hope this helps!

S

May 16, 2015 3:38 PM in response to rubengouvea

As a last resort, get the thinnest sewing pin you can find and gently punch four to six tiny holes in the mesh of malfunctioning/muffled earbud. The area to punch through is toward the center section of the mesh. Do this very gently by applying just enough pressure to puncture the mesh.

This 100% fixes the muffled sound. I was about to junk my two, supposedly bad, Apple ear-buds before I used this solution. Now I have two new sounding earphones.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.