Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme fails to connect to internet:

I have an iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 OS X 10.4.11 equipped with Airport Extreme (ox14E4, ox87) seeking wireless connection to a Netgear Wireless-G Router (WGR614v9), which is in turn connected to a cable modem from Time Warner Cable. The wireless connection has operated well for over 6 years, but has become increasingly spotty and unreliable. Recently, the wireless connection has failed to this computer completely, though wireless connection works fine to a PC-DOS laptop nearby, several iPhones, and a newer iMac elsewhere within range. The Internet Connect window indicates that AirPort is On, and Signal Strength is often (but not always) High. It also indicates that AirPort has intermittently connected to and recognized my Netgear router. But every attempt to open Safari results in a 'not connected to the internet' message, and no amount of scanning in the Network Preferences pane rarely finds the Netgear connection. When I try to open the Netgear connection as a new connection, I repeatedly get a 'connection failed, try again' message.

I am a relative newby to computer troubleshooting, and without any internet connection to the problem computer, I have no way to download any old or new software or firmware, or make use of any online links to fixes. Can anyone guide me through a NON-INTERNET-BASED means of resetting my AirPort Extreme, or of re-establishing the necessary internal computer settings to reacquire a wireless connection?

Or am I limited to carting my iMac to the nearest Apple genius bar for troubleshooting and repair?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 8:20 AM

Have yiou tried rebooting (unplug/replug) the TW modem?

6 replies

Jan 6, 2014 8:38 AM in response to Ho Lee MACkeral

Thanks, HLM: I have rebooted the cable modem and the wireless router many times. And the computer's AirPort Extreme has connected to the wireless router, has recognized it, and has shown full router signal strength, yet still will not open Safari. In the Network Diagnostics pane, the AirPort and router lights go green, but the ISP light stays yellow. (And, by the way, all other devices in the household continually receive signals from the cable modem and router, so I don't think the problem lies with them.)

Jan 6, 2014 9:51 AM in response to Ho Lee MACkeral

I have reset the SMC as you've directed. I again get to the Network Preferences pane, select a location that has worked before, scan for a network connection, and do not find the Netgear connection. I force it to continue anyway, but keep getting the message 'Airport failed to connect to Netgear. Try again?' Meanwhile, though the AirPort signal light is green, the AirPort Settings signal light is red, as are all others (for ISP, internet, etc.).

AirPort Extreme fails to connect to internet:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.