Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering photos from iPhoto when backed up with WD?

Before I sold my old MacBook Pro that I got in September of 2009, I backed everything up on my WD "My Passport" assuming that backing it up meant I would have everything on my computer transferred in... I used my computer mainly for photography. I have thousands of pictures that I had saved on iPhoto but I can't find them anywhere on my backup. Is there any way I can retrieve them on my new Macbook Pro? I am just about heartbroken at this point...

iPhoto version trying to recover: 8.1.2

iPhoto version currently using: 9.5.1

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 9:28 AM

2 replies

Jan 6, 2014 10:01 AM in response to Vixly

With the amount of information you've provided it's impossible to offer a potential solution. We can't see your computer so we need to know the details of your problem and setup, i.e.:

• what version of iPhoto are you using?
  • how did you make the backup to the WD?
  • what system version are you running?
  • is there an iPhoto Library package/folder on the WD?
  • what fixes have you tried?
  • did you apply any updates or upgrades just prior to the problem occurring?
  • are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

User uploaded file

One test you can perform is to download and use Find Any File to search the WD for ".jpg". This will tell you if the image files are somewhere on the HD. If it doesn't find any jpg files then the backup wasn't performed correctly.

OT

Recovering photos from iPhoto when backed up with WD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.