Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Mavericks software updates on my SUS

I just checked the available updates on my OS X server and noticed there are no Mavericks updates. For example, the Mavericks 10.9.1 update is not listed. Is there a way to refresh this so these updates are downloaded and enabled. I'm running SUS in "Automatic" mode and have selected "Check for Updates".

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 9:24 AM

8 replies

Jan 6, 2014 12:42 PM in response to Strontium90

I'm not sure how to enable caching server... I'll do a search and see what I can come up with.

I ran a couple of swupd_syncd commands and got the following.

Mavericks-Server:~ macserver$ swupd_syncd -sync

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>:

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: swupd_syncd 10.9 (155) for OS X Server 10.9 (Darwin/x86_64)

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: ========== Sync Started ==========

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Checking service data location: /Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving catalog list

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: Metaindex file save failed (/Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html/catalogs.sucatalog.alternate)

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: Public (exported) metaindex file save failed (/Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html/catalogs.sucatalog)

Jan 6 15:01:26 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving deprecated udpates list

Jan 6 15:01:27 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: Download for "Deprecations.plist" failed (reason: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Jan 6 15:01:27 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving remote catalog (SECURE): index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:28 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Warning>: Download for "index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.download" failed (reason: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Jan 6 15:01:28 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving remote catalog (STANDARD): index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:30 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Warning>: Download for "index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.download" failed (reason: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Jan 6 15:01:30 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: All download attempts failed for catalog index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:30 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving remote catalog (SECURE): index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:31 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Warning>: Download for "index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.download" failed (reason: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Jan 6 15:01:31 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving remote catalog (STANDARD): index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:35 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Warning>: Download for "index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog.download" failed (reason: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Jan 6 15:01:35 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: All download attempts failed for catalog index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:35 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving remote catalog (SECURE): index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:36 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Warning>: Download for "index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog.download" failed (reason: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Jan 6 15:01:36 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Retrieving remote catalog (STANDARD): index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:40 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Warning>: Download for "index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog.download" failed (reason: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Jan 6 15:01:40 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: All download attempts failed for catalog index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Jan 6 15:01:40 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: Unable to retrieve one or more of the catalogs listed in the index

Jan 6 15:01:40 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Error>: Unable to retrieve catalog(s) from the Apple server

Jan 6 15:01:40 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6197] <Info>: Sync Complete

Mavericks-Server:~ macserver$ swupd_syncd -showDeprecated

Jan 6 15:02:31 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6243] <Info>: Checking service data location: /Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html

Jan 6 15:02:31 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6243] <Info>: Retrieving catalog list

Jan 6 15:02:31 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6243] <Error>: Public (exported) metaindex file save failed (/Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html/catalogs.sucatalog)

Jan 6 15:02:31 Mavericks-Server.local swupd_syncd[6243] <Info>: Retrieving deprecated udpates list

Jan 6, 2014 1:51 PM in response to 105437

Ouch, That is a lot of errors.

So, if your server is Mavericks (which based on the hostname of Mavericks-Server.local it is), then Caching Server is as simple as turning the service on. 1: Open Server.app. 2: Turn on Caching Server. As the old commercial goes, there is no step 3. Your Mavericks clients and iOS 7 devices will automatically route through your caching server for updates. It is incredibly efficient.

Now, if you are trying to support systems older than 10.9, then you will need to run SUS. However, it appears that you have some connection issues (or at least I am going to hope that that is what you are seeing (Unable to retrieve catalog(s) from the Apple server)). Perhaps stop SUS and wait an hour or two. Then try again.

Also, going back to the hostname (Mavericks-Server.local). This would suggest that you do not have DNS setup on the machine. I will suggest that you consider setting up and confirming the function of DNS. While this should not be the cause of your SUS errors, I can predict with nearly 100% accuracy that you will run into issues without proper DNS.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Jan 6, 2014 4:55 PM in response to 105437

The error code:

(NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.))

Translates as:

NSURLErrorCannotOpenFile

Returned when NSURLDownload was unable to open the downloaded file on disk.

Available in OS X v10.2 and later.

That error points to the downloaded file, but I'd also check that the Apple software update servers can be accessed; that you're not getting blocked by some local firewall, or by some bad DNS translations for the Apple software update servers.

To echo what Strontium90 wrote: do not use .local for your own DNS server DNS domain (that's reserved to Bonjour, and not something you should have your own server using) (also: best to get your own real and registered domain here, as the folks from ICANN are busily adding thousands of new top-level domains), and do get your local DNS server configured and running. It's not feasible to (successfully) use off-LAN DNS servers for local DNS use, assuming that this configuration is the typical AT'd network. Bad DNS can and has caused many weird and variously subtle errors. Here is how to set up local DNS services on OS X Server.

No Mavericks software updates on my SUS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.