Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocking peer-to-peer networks?

Today, I received an emailed notification from Verizon. Apparently, one of my kids downloaded some illegal content using my FIOS account. One kid is on a Mac, two are on PCs. Is there anyway I can setup my Time Capsule to prevent this kind of activity?

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 9:25 AM

9 replies

Jan 6, 2014 12:30 PM in response to Kelly Crossley

You may find it easier to use a better router with better parental controls.. You can keep the TC in bridge for wireless and TM backup.

I strongly recommend a 3rd party firmware.. Gargoyle.. you can buy a cheap router.. it is a simple firmware update and then you will have total control of the network. It has very extensive reporting and is able to apply filters as well as connect to protected DNS service like OpenDNS. And force all connections through it.. as the kids get smarter they will exchange the methods of bypassing.. and frankly it isn't hard. Simply having the list of the last 300 websites visited and showing your kids that you now can see their usage.. can cause suitable consternation.

Jan 6, 2014 12:45 PM in response to Kelly Crossley

Ok, this post might only last a few min.. Apple don't take kindly to recommending other hardware.

A WNDR3800 or WNDRMACv2 (these are identical except for colour)

They are readily available still although out of production.. look for ebay one.

The TP-Link WDR3600 or 4300 .. cheap and reasonable.

D-Link DIR-825.. but it must be version B or C.. not D.

Look at the list.. but these are good balance of cheap enough with powerful processors and lots of memory.

Blocking peer-to-peer networks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.