Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Considering a new Mac pro

I have been using FCP 7 on/off since 2009 for simple projects (AVCHD to ProRes), but now own a Canon XF300 (love it), but the 50mbps is WAY too much for my little MacBookPro.

My needs are modest (of course, that is a loaded statement, hopefully I won't go overboard in the future), but I am considering if it's better to go with a used Mac Pro 8 core or go with the new MacPro and FCPX?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 11:10 AM

12 replies

Jan 6, 2014 2:53 PM in response to mikeflyz01

Don't use share. Just export a self-contained Quicktime of your finished sequence without conversion. Then

use Compressor to do the conversion from ProRes to H.264. You can use Apple Qmaster to set up your computer to simultaneously process on separate cores - it speeds the compression up substantially.

Here is a guide to the set-up:

http://mediastorm.com/sites/default/files/pdf/SettingupAppleQMasterforfastertran scodingandcompression.pdf

Additional RAM in your machine would probably help as well.

To see what kind of throughput your are getting from your external drive, download the Aja System Test (free):

http://www.aja.com/en/software

it will show you the actual throughput you are getting from your drive.

MtD

Jul 25, 2015 7:02 PM in response to Shane Ross

I agree iMac is tough to beat for the price. I would love a Mac Pro, but way too pricey. I am also leary of the new design.

I bought an iMac from the Apple refurb store, Quad core i5. I loaded it with 16gb of memory and it does a pretty good job.

I am sure a Mac pro would be much faster for rendering, but I set my iMac to work overnight. I have other Mac to use while my iMac chugs away.

I think people who dog Final Cut X and Logic Pro have invested a lot of time and money into other systems. But, I have yet to find anything I cannot accomplish with Final Cut, Logic and Compressor. I have never had crashing problems with any of them and the ability to use Qmaster to share the cpu load is pretty fantastic. I used a mac mini as a node and it worked pretty well. I don't know of any other software that can pull that off as well as Apple designed products. With the quad core iMac and Final Cut, I have yet to need this.

Considering a new Mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.