Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Window problems in Mavericks

Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought a brand new 27" iMac. It had 10.8 on it but I upgraded it to 10.9, then 10.9.1.

Very nice machine. Seems to work well, but I have a persistant problem when resizing windows. When I grab the lower right corner of the window (and get the 45 degree arrows) then go to resize the window the whole window jumbs across the page! The window also narrows vertically to s few inches. This appears to clearly be a system software issue that needs to be fixed.

I also discovered another issure to when tring to rename a file or folder; after I select the item to rename, and press 'return' the edit field containing the name apperas outside the window where the item is, and to the upper left. I can complete the renameing of the item, but this bug clearly needs to be fixed also. Related to this, if I tried to move an item to a folder in a window the folder in the window does not highlight, instead, outside the window where the list of folders is (again), you see a list of highlighted items, until you 'drop' the item you are moving, then the background (outside the window) returns to the normal background. Makes it very difficult to move files/folders. There is clearly an issure where Mavericks is loosing the location of the file/folder on the screen when renaming or moving items.

By the way, I am currently using only the single 27" iMac display. I have no other monitors connected to this iMac (yet).

Addittional Note; not sure it matters but it just occured to me I should mention I am using a Magic Trackpad (bought new with the iMac).

Any solution to this? Or will I have to hope there is a fix in 10.9.2 update?

Thanks,

Jeff

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 12:38 PM

3 replies

Jan 6, 2014 1:23 PM in response to JeffNY

I think I may have discovered part of the above problem. If I create a new window, say in the Finder or Safari, then resize it resizing seems to work fine.

But if I create a new window, then move it on the screen , THEN try to resize the window the top left loaction of the window jumps back to its original loaction. Apperantly Mavericks is not updating the current location of the window in some parts of the OS when a window is moved.

I am a HUGE Apple fan. But this kind of OS "gaffe" makes me very nervous. As a beta tester for 10.7 Lion I had a number of issue that just should not have been there just before its full release, ended up going back to 10.6 (haveing to do a full backup restore to get 10.7 off my MacBook). On the other hand my MacBook Pro update from 10.6 to a later version of Mountain Lion 10.8 went incredibly smoothly. I would like to update my MacBook to Mavericks, but am so happy with Mountain Lion on it I am holding off until more 'kinks' are worked out of Mavericks...

Anyway, love my new iMac, but please fix this window bug issue 🙂

Jeff

Jan 8, 2014 10:29 PM in response to JeffNY

An additional discovery; On this iMac I have 3 "Spaces". While I was continuing to see this window problem (in the 1st, primary Space, just ‘right’ of the Widgets screen), I was curious if this window problem also occurred in the other two Spaces. So I four-finger swiped over to them and created a new Finder windows, and discovered that this window problem, windows jumping around the screen & edit fields for renaming files appearing outside the window, did NOT occur. I then went back to the main Space (where I had the problems) and now the problem seems to have gone away. Hope this helps…

Window problems in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.