Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

superdrive(s) not working after mavericks install?

After installing Mavericks, my internal superdrives will not function properly. I have two superdrives installed on my Early 2009 Mac Pro with 2.93 GHz quad core Intel processor. I insert a disc, close the drawer, I hear some whirring/spinning sounds, then the drawer opens up. Same result with either drive.

I was trying to install tax prep software, get the same non-function if I try to run music CD. Cleaned the lens with compressed air, and also a CD Laser Lens Cleaner disc.

I use the drives occasionally. However, the last time, prior to Maverick download and install, both drives worked fine.

Are the drives supported by Mavericks? Should I reset the SMC?

I have looked through some recent threads, and this issue seems to come up with increasing frequency, with many varied and sometimes conflicting results. I noted with some chagrin one pragmatic response of buying an external optical drive and forgoing the attempt to regain function of the factory-installed superdrives. Perhaps I didn't delve far enough into prior threads to find an answer.

What are other's doing?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), late 2009, Quad core Intel

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 1:55 PM

4 replies

Apr 5, 2014 5:38 AM in response to zboomer

Look around - this is clearly a known issue to many users. We have all tried EVERYTHING to get this to work - about the only solution I have seen is to downgrade your OS - that will get the drive working again. Apple is ignoring the problem - sabotaging your equipment is not a concern of Tim Cook while he is going about ruining any innovation Apple ever had. Seen the new itunes? You get my drift.

superdrive(s) not working after mavericks install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.