Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro is not allowing me to take screenshots!?

Dear Apple Community,

Recently I have taken out my optical drive and moved my old 500GB hard drive over there and replaced the old hard drive location with a new 120GB SSD. I moved the operating system, applications and most used files onto the SSD, however I left my user folder on the old hard drive and linked the two. I then symlinked my downloads folder and my desktop so that the actual folders where on the SSD however they appeared in the normal user folder on the HDD.

That has all been fine, however even more recently I have not been able to take screenshots. Whenever I try to I get the error message:

Your screenshot can't be saved.

You don’t have permission to save files in the location where screen shots are stored.

I have tried everything I could think of including:

- Repairing & Verifying both drives' permissions.

- Making sure the desktop folder is unlocked from "More Info".

- Changing the location and format of screenshots.

- Resetting Home folder permissions and ACLs, by booting from the recovery disk.

Please could someone out there be of service, as I have run out of ideas! Thanks.

Jago

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 2:08 PM

10 replies

Jan 6, 2014 3:02 PM in response to JagoReeves

However both the home folder and the boot disk are on the SSD and not split between the two. Any ideas on fixing that?

That's a different problem. You need to make a new post in the Lion forums since that is what system profile confirms that is the OS you are using.

Will notify a HOST to move this (screenshot) thread to the Lion forums.

User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2014 6:32 PM in response to JagoReeves

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the selected item to the Trash. Relaunch the application and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

My MacBook Pro is not allowing me to take screenshots!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.