Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X as a school server.

Happy New Year!

Who of you all knows of a school's Website which implemented OS X server Intranet and Internet for students, staff but also parents?

Specially looking for school owned and BYOD, VPP, and Collaborative Software services like Calendar, Contacts, Mail and Messages.

It's what I'm doing on a test server but I wanted to show my school administrators, staff members, students and parents that it's also done somewhere else.

Thanks,

Francois.

Mac mini, OS X Server, 10.9.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 4:55 PM

How many students do you have? How many staff? Exactly what services are you planning to implement?

While Mavericks Server is capable of many functions, you should be aware of its scaling limitations. Additionally, depending on which country you are in, you may be eligible for free or greatly discounted cloud based services, allowing you to move many services outside the organization and avoid points of failure and management costs.

I have nothing but positive things to say about OS X Server. But you must be aware of the products limits. Running a system in a lab environment is one thing. Running it under load is a whole other animal.

And finally, reach out to your regional Apple Education SE. They should be able to give you examples in your geographic areas that you may even be able to visit.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2014 4:55 PM in response to estrois.me.com

How many students do you have? How many staff? Exactly what services are you planning to implement?

While Mavericks Server is capable of many functions, you should be aware of its scaling limitations. Additionally, depending on which country you are in, you may be eligible for free or greatly discounted cloud based services, allowing you to move many services outside the organization and avoid points of failure and management costs.

I have nothing but positive things to say about OS X Server. But you must be aware of the products limits. Running a system in a lab environment is one thing. Running it under load is a whole other animal.

And finally, reach out to your regional Apple Education SE. They should be able to give you examples in your geographic areas that you may even be able to visit.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Feb 25, 2014 1:11 PM in response to Strontium90

Sorry for the reply 6 weeks later.

The Windows Server 2008 has been redone from scratch and it feels good to stop patching.

This being said:

300 K-12 students,

40 some staff.

180 iPads

50 MacBooks

40 Windows 7 Workstations.

I agrre with you that putting collaborative services for a whole school is risky.

What the heck. I'll go for it step by step.

Francois.

Feb 25, 2014 3:23 PM in response to estrois.me.com

Good approach. Us in technology can sometimes lose sight of the value of these devices in the educational workflow. At times, we get caught up in the perfection of the solution but this can disrupt the use of the product in the hands of the student and teacher.

Based on those numbers, you are not a one to one shop. So device sharing will need to be investigated. For the iPads, you could start as simple as Apple Configurator and supervision mode. However, you may not have enough time between classes to checkin and checkout all the devices. Once again, understanding the educational needs and use case is vital.

For the MacBooks, you can look at network homes to support the entire audience. But, you need to analyze your wireless network and core network to make sure you have the bandwidth to server the load. Likewise, a capacity study and I/O throughput analysis needs to be done to ensure that you can serve the load.

You are in a good position as spring is approaching. You should be taking the next few months to define and test your implementation on a small scale. Then once clarified, you will have the summer to implement and load test.

Sounds like a great project to sink your teeth into.

Feb 25, 2014 6:28 PM in response to Strontium90

Hello again,

If feel two bit ashamed to says that I, or rather we have been at this iPad thing for a good 18 months.

I would have much prefer to have an integrator come in, show us how to set up OS X server and services, iPads with Configurator and Profile Manager, OS X clients with Active Directory.

But a lot have been learned by myself and as things change rapidly, I feel a lot of time has been wasted by not having been able to start in a one to one. We went from OS X 10.7 to 10.9, iOS 6 to 7 and still tinker around VPP

It's both a blody shame and a sort of mini miracle at the same time.

I hope that school or enterprises who get in the Apple ecosystem get it done right the first time and capitalize on it rom day one.

Get an integrator.

Francois.

Feb 25, 2014 7:01 PM in response to estrois.me.com

Depending on where you are located, you should be talking directly to your Apple Education Rep. In most cases, you will be assigned a sales rep and a tech resource. While they are not always as responsive or able to provide in depth support like an integrator, they are often helpful enough to get you to understand the big picture. In the US, every school has access to the sales rep and a technical contact. While they will try to get you to buy an AppleCare agreement, you are not required to and most tech reps I've crossed path with have been helpful.

And don't feel bad. The way you handled iPads with 10.7/iOS 6 is way different than the way to do it in 10.9/iOS 7. So you would have been reinventing the wheel anyway.

OS X as a school server.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.