Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight permission issue with multiple users - user A can search files from user B

Hello everybody,

i need your help with a bad and precarious spotlight issue.

Mavericks is a clean install on my 2010 MacPro and Everything runs fine - but this issue is very annoying.

User A is admin - user B a normal user.

The Problem:

If user B uses spotlight in his account, he also gets the search results from files of User A.

This meens the files in the user folder from User A and also the files on his own extra hard-drive.

For Example to get it clear to you:

On the Desk of User A is a file called "birthday-presents.rtf".

User B searches in his Spotlight "birthday" - now he gets as a result also this file from User A.

He can not open it at all - but he can se it in the spotlight search results.

This also affects the mails, calendars etc.....

This is of course very bad to User A - because his file-names aren't secure anymore.

But also User B has a problem - because his Spotlight results are much longer with a lot files he don't want to see because this files are not his ones.

What can i do?

I rebuilded the spotlight index, but this does not help.

Permissions also seem to be OK - here is a screenshot (german, but i think you catch it).

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 5:08 PM

38 replies

Jan 6, 2014 5:59 PM in response to Harald Köhler

Did you migrate these users?

Log in as User A and run this command in Terminal and see if you have any ACLs set with _spotlight as the user.

ls -le ~/

That will list the home folder contents and show the ACLs. ACLs show up below the entry prefixed with a number and : like this:

drwx------   9 user  staff   306 Dec 16 21:24 Applications
drwx------@ 23 user  staff   782 Jan  5 20:16 Desktop
 0: group:everyone deny delete

The 0: line is a standard ACL.

I noticed when I migrated accounts on a test install, the users had these _spotlight ACLs which gave spotlight read access to everything. That is what I think may be the problem.

Jan 6, 2014 6:20 PM in response to Barney-15E

No there was no migration.

Its a complete Clean install - i only copies Files, Mailboxes, etc. manually.

Here is the result of your advise - is it OK?

Last login: Tue Jan 7 01:28:47 on console

home-MacPro:~ harry$ ls -le ~/

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 2 harry staff 68 5 Nov 12:06 Applications

drwx------+ 30 harry staff 1020 7 Jan 02:07 Desktop

drwx------+ 8 harry staff 272 5 Nov 19:42 Documents

drwx------+ 4 harry staff 136 4 Dez 15:42 Downloads

drwx------@ 55 harry staff 1870 28 Nov 22:34 Library

drwx------+ 6 harry staff 204 7 Dez 01:20 Movies

drwx------+ 7 harry staff 238 7 Jan 02:04 Music

drwx------+ 5 harry staff 170 4 Nov 14:54 Pictures

drwx-wx-wx+ 8 harry staff 272 7 Jan 00:25 Public

home-MacPro:~ harry$

Jan 6, 2014 7:11 PM in response to Harald Köhler

I'm really out of ideas, but I would like to confirm the location of the found files (although I'm pretty sure it will be your folder).

If using the Spotlight Menu, hover over one of the found files and hold down cmd+option(alt). You should see the path at the bottom of the preview window.

If using Finder, Show the Path Bar from the View menu of Finder. Select a found file and look at the path.

Are they pointing into your home folder, or somewhere else?

I've seen one other similar situation, having to do with Tags appearing from another user, but they had the _spotlight ACLs, and it wasn't resolved.

Spotlight permission issue with multiple users - user A can search files from user B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.