Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my airport express, which was formerly my main router, be connected to the Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 11-N modem router my cable company gave me?

Can my airport express, which was formerly my main router be connected to the Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 11-N modem router my cable company gave me? After an hour and a half of trying, I'm feeling frustrated and helpless. I had two airport expresses hooked into stereo systems before, and I really want to be able to continue using them. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 4:27 PM

See this Apple document.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA435/en_US/AirPortExpressSetupGuide.pdf

Not sure what version of Express you have but the setup should be almost identical.

Let us know if this helps you.

6 replies

Jan 6, 2014 4:37 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Thanks, Joseph. That helped a little. From the manual, it looks like it might be possible to use the airport expresses to "talk" between my computer and the speakers without having them connected to my Netgear modem/router.

Unfortunately, the airport expresses are plugged in, blinking yellow, and the computer doesn't see them. If I connect one with an ethernet cord to the Netgear device, the light turns green, but the computer still doesn't "see" the airport express.

Jan 6, 2014 4:46 PM in response to Girl Needs Support Please

Is your modem/router wireless?

I would suggest you factory reset your Express (let's only do one at this time).

Once it is reset, you should be able to configure it "Join" your existing network if your Netgear modem/router is wireless.

Here is the document on how to "Join" the express with your existing wireless network.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

Let us know

Jan 6, 2014 5:11 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but I can't configure it in any way that I hook it up, because my computer says there are no airport base stations found.

From looking around the internet, what I'm coming to understand is that my Mavericks computer won't ever recognize my model A1084 AirPort Express. To communicate with it, I would need AirPort Utility 5.6, and Mavericks won't let me install it!

Jan 6, 2014 5:24 PM in response to Girl Needs Support Please

OK. I didn't realize you had that old of an Airport Express.

You are correct.

You will need another computer to set it back up.

There are ways to install the older Airport Utility 5.6 but we are not allowed to discuss that here.

Go to this address to find more if it isn't deleted.

http://frank.is/mountain-lion-and-the-old-airport-utility/

I just retired 3 of my Airport Express base stations and they were newer then yours. Mine were the "N" version and yours are the much older "G" versions.

Good Luck

Can my airport express, which was formerly my main router, be connected to the Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 11-N modem router my cable company gave me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.