Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see Exchange Global Address List in Mail/Contacts

Hi,

I have set up Exchange in System Prefs > Internet Accounts and all Mail sees it as normal.

When I open Contacts, Under Exchange > All Exchange, I see my personal Exchange contacts.

However, most of the contacts I need to send to on a daily basis are listed in the Exchange Global Address List. If I click on Directories > Exchange Global Address List. The list is empty.

If I search for a name, it magically appears, so it appears that it does sort of work. Unfortunately, this does not work when I am searching for a name in Mail or any other Mail app which uses the GAL. If I type the name, or the first few letters of the name, it does not resolve it from the GAL.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Alistair

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 6:37 PM

4 replies

Jan 12, 2014 8:41 AM in response to CycloneNZ

Searching for a slightly different Mavericks issue (not being able to retrieve contact info by a GAL search in 10.9 Contacts.app for ONE of the two Exchange Accounts I have set up on my Macs and iOS devices), I experimented a bit and confirmed I could do so both from my iPhone and iPad and from my laptop, which is still running OS X 10.8.5 (Mtn Lion). Since GAL searches DID work in 10.9 for the other Exchange account, I looked for differences in my own configurations and discovered that the "Internal Server" settings were different on the new iMac running 10.9 from what they are on all the other computers and iOS devices.

I changed those settings (just the address) to match what they were on the other devices, and everything works as it should now.

By the way, although I use Outlook for Windows rarely, I think that "Search Directory" means exactly what it says in Apple Mail and Contacts apps; it will retrieve what you search for in the GAL; there's no way in the Mac OS or iOS apps that I know of to display the entire GAL. I do know that Outlook 2007 will do that.

May 2, 2014 3:45 PM in response to scrowell12

scrowell12 wrote:

Did anyone figure out a way to view the entire Exchange Global Address List (GAL)? I'm running Mavericks and my Mac Mail will autocomplete addresses that are in the GAL but I would like to see the entire list so I can see distribution lists and the corresponding members.

There are solutions to sync the GAL to an Outlook contacts folder in the each Exchange mailbox. This is usually done for the benefit of iPhone users with an ActiveSync connection to the Exchange Server. However, it would also provide a solution for desktop users lacking an easy way to view the GAL.

Can't see Exchange Global Address List in Mail/Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.