Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between Newsstand and iBooks?

I can purchase the same "book" from iBooks and Newsstand, what is the differnce of the "book" if I purchase from one or the other application?

In my example I am looking at 501 Spanish Verbs.

iBook

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 7:25 PM

8 replies

Jan 8, 2014 5:06 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

James Ward4 wrote:

One is an iBook, the other is a magazine (app).

It may be an app, but I don't see any connection with Newstand or magazines. I must be missing something. Could you post a screenshot or explain where you see it?

Magazines are essentially specialized apps (but I figure you are probably already aware of that).

Will have to settle for iPhone screen shots (having network issues at the office so can't get them right now for the iPad).

iBooks

User uploaded file

Magazine store

User uploaded file

More than likely the content of these are pretty similar. There is no indication of a subscription for the magazine, so I assume it is the electronic equivalent of the one off issues you see on brick&Morter newstands. Looks like it has been updated once since original publication.

Jan 8, 2014 6:38 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

James Ward4 wrote:

Magazine store

Thanks! I see what is happening now...

You are really in the app store, even if the door you entered through said Newstand. This is an app book, and it will appear on the device like any other app, with no connection to Newstand or iBooks. If you go to Categories in the app store and select Newstand, you will find only magazines and no books.

Normally when the same book appears as an app and as an ibook, the former version can have some interactive features that are not possible in the ibook format.

Jan 8, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Magazines are apps, Tom. And the second example is a magazine, just not with a subscription. Any magazine title you find in the Newsstand store can also be found in the apps store. If downloaded, they will still end up in the Newsstand when purchased. And yes - from the Newstand store you will only see apps. No ebooks.

Tom Gewecke wrote:

Normally when the same book appears as an app and as an ibook, the former version can have some interactive features that are not possible in the ibook format.

I am assuming that is the case for this title, but not about to spend the money to fnd out. 😝

Jan 8, 2014 7:34 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

James Ward4 wrote:

the second example is a magazine

My point is that it is not, regardless of the name on the "store". It's an app book and will not appear in Newstand (or iBooks) but on its own with the other apps. It's compatible with iOS versions (3) released long before Newstand was available (5). It doesn't show up when you search the Newstand category on an iPad. I see it also has some unfavorable reviews which don't inspire any desire to download it even if you need such a thing...

User uploaded file

What is the difference between Newsstand and iBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.