Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv is stuck on setting date and time

Apple TV

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 3:34 PM

I had the same problem, nothing worked. I was very frustrated. I changed a router made by D-Link, with the mighty Extreme made by apple. And then I had this problem with date and time. I tried everything:

1) restart router/apple tv

2) reset router/apple tv

3) use ethernet cable

4) enter again and again the id and pass

5) downgrade

6) upgrade

7) other silly possible solutions

Non of them worked. Sent it to warenty....it came with no answer....they gave me a new one. I connected it, and the same problem accured.

The solution was, to connect my d-link router to the main router (made by apple, and incompatible with apple tv) and connect the apple tv, to the d-link wireless. It works like magic, no problems, nothing.

So, this is a router problem, not an apple tv problem. Or an apple tv problem, and some engineer f**ked it up on network part, when it tries to synk date and time routine for itunes.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2014 3:34 PM in response to thiel14

I had the same problem, nothing worked. I was very frustrated. I changed a router made by D-Link, with the mighty Extreme made by apple. And then I had this problem with date and time. I tried everything:

1) restart router/apple tv

2) reset router/apple tv

3) use ethernet cable

4) enter again and again the id and pass

5) downgrade

6) upgrade

7) other silly possible solutions

Non of them worked. Sent it to warenty....it came with no answer....they gave me a new one. I connected it, and the same problem accured.

The solution was, to connect my d-link router to the main router (made by apple, and incompatible with apple tv) and connect the apple tv, to the d-link wireless. It works like magic, no problems, nothing.

So, this is a router problem, not an apple tv problem. Or an apple tv problem, and some engineer f**ked it up on network part, when it tries to synk date and time routine for itunes.

Jan 7, 2014 4:16 AM in response to thiel14

Welcome to the Apple Community Theil.

Assuming this is not the first time you have used your Apple TV

1. You might try restarting the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  2. Also try restarting the router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  3. If the problem persists, try a restore, you may want to try the previous procedures several times before doing this.
  4. If restoring from the Apple TV doesn't help, try restoring from iTunes using a USB cable.

If this is a new Apple TV, in addition to trying the above, it may also be that your network router is not allowing access to the timeserver, check that your router allows access over port 123.

Jul 27, 2014 8:24 PM in response to thiel14

Before you go through all of the hassle of Winston's step 1, 2, 3, and 4, either open port 123 on your router firewall, or simply disable the firewall for a couple of minutes and then reactivate it. If Apple TV can't set the time and date through that port, it will let you bypass it with the menu button without error message but will then tell you that your Apple ID or password is incorrect when you try to enter it. You have to let it set the date and time through port 123.

is that better, boys?

May 24, 2015 2:19 PM in response to SuperMarioBross

> Or an apple tv problem, when it tries to synk date and time routine for itunes.

My money's on this, considering I've got a brand new appleTV that can't get NTP, and I'm typing this on a macbook air that's happily syncing with time.apple.com from the same wifi network. I've also tried going hard-waired straight to my modem, with its internal firewall completely disabled, and it still didn't get time.

What's really interesting is that it shows time as "Skipped(reachable)", which tells me that the appleTV can reach time.apple.com over udp123 just fine, it just chose not to auto-set the time.

<Edited by Host>

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.