Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can missing utilities prevent me from upgrading?

Im having an issue with upgrading my (Late 2007) Macbook Pro to OS X 10.6. Im missing several utilities and im wondering can this be the cause of my upgrade failure. The original disk will not load and ejects after a few spins but other DVD's with media on them will load. Some of the missing utilities are Disk Utility, Boot Camp Assistant, Terminal etc. Please feel free to respond with your expertise about a resolution to my dilemma.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 7:46 PM

The problem has nothing to do with the missing utilities, although, I can't understand why you would delete those utilities.

Your problem could be:

1. Dirty, scratched, or smudged DVD - clean with rubbing alcohol and lint-free cloth.
  2. Optical drive's laser is dirty or out of alignment.
  3. Optical drive is failing.
  4. The DVD is damaged.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2014 7:46 PM in response to DJ Reece

The problem has nothing to do with the missing utilities, although, I can't understand why you would delete those utilities.

Your problem could be:

1. Dirty, scratched, or smudged DVD - clean with rubbing alcohol and lint-free cloth.
  2. Optical drive's laser is dirty or out of alignment.
  3. Optical drive is failing.
  4. The DVD is damaged.

can missing utilities prevent me from upgrading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.