Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cisco DPC3825 bridged + Airport extreme. Modem is receiving and good to go, but airport is flashing yellow and not working.

I had a cisco DPC3825 and a airport extreme working, but dropping my mac book - apple tech told me to get Shaw (cable provider) to bridge their modem so the wifi would not interfere - now there is nothing. The modem is receiving signal.

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 7:59 PM

10 replies

Jan 6, 2014 8:24 PM in response to yoshiafrombc

apple tech told me to get Shaw (cable provider) to bridge their modem

You might want to ask the Apple tech what you need to do now.

We have no way of knowing what Shaw cable did to the Cisco product, so there is not much that we can suggest other than resetting the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings and then reconfiguring it again to see if it will connect to the Cisco product with the new settings.

Jan 6, 2014 9:39 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks - The tech at Shaw simply put it in "bridge mode" from their end. When they did that the extreme stopped working - then i talked to them and had them turn bridge mode off and it worked again. Primary issue, reason for putting it in bridge mode, was based on a suggestion from an apple tech because some devices were having trouble connecting to the new extreme... Shaw person says it should be in bridge mode to work with the router and there must be a setting issue on the extreme?

Jan 6, 2014 9:48 PM in response to yoshiafrombc

You probably just need to reconfigure the Extreme. When it was originally configured, AirPort Utility detected an upstream router and configured itself as a bridge. If that is what occurred, your network is lacking a router.

The easiest way to reconfigure the Extreme is with a "hard reset":

To "hard reset" an AirPort Base Station: make sure it's powered up, then press and hold its tiny reset button and keep it depressed for five to ten seconds, long enough for its LED to flash amber rapidly. Release the reset button. Then, the LED will glow amber steadily for about a minute. Then, it will flash amber, slowly, about once every second or two, waiting for you to configure it with AirPort Utility.

Resetting the Extreme and reconfiguring it with AirPort Utility will result in enabling its router.

Jan 6, 2014 10:03 PM in response to yoshiafrombc

Shaw person says it should be in bridge mode to work with the router and there must be a setting issue on the extreme

As I said, all that we can suggest is that you reset the AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings.....a "hard reset" that John Galt mentions above....and then set it up again to see if it can pick up the changes that were made on the Cisco device.

There are no guarantees that this will work.....since we still have no idea what Shaw really did other than mention some jargon about bridge mode.....which can mean any of a number of things, since there are usually different ways to "bridge" a product. One of them might be compatible with an Apple router and one not.

Jan 8, 2014 10:27 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the help. I am going to try that process tonight.

The shaw tech says their end is fine and there is nothing they can do.

The apple tech says that the modem is not allowing DHC-NAT... the shaw guy says their end has nothing to do with that. The apple tech then said I may need a static IP address... shaw guy says they won't do that for residential.

Basically neither of them have any idea - internet is currently working, but the Extreme is not acting as the primary router - the shaw unit is.

I am going to get Shaw to bridge the modem - then hard reset the Extreme and see what happens. I will post the result for future reference.

Jan 8, 2014 10:35 AM in response to yoshiafrombc

internet is currently working, but the Extreme is not acting as the primary router - the shaw unit is.

Then there is no way that the Shaw device is in Bridge Mode.......yet you say earlier in your post that the Shaw "tech" put the Cisco in Bridge Mode.

The tech at Shaw simply put it in "bridge mode" from their end

I am going to get Shaw to bridge the modem

They may not be able to even do this, so it might be a good idea to keep a Plan B in mind.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Jan 10, 2014 10:27 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Okay - final solution.

1) Turn bridge mode on

2) unplug everything and wait 60 seconds

3) plug modem back in and wait for it to go through its set up

4) once modem has all lights stable plug in Extreme

5) once extreme has gone through its set up perform a hard reset

6) create a new wireless network

7) enjoy a working internet!

The only issue that I can see is that when I was running my old TC it showed guest network, but my extreme is not. Do I need to set that up seperatly?

Thanks for all your help .

Jan 10, 2014 10:44 AM in response to yoshiafrombc

It sounds like the modem is not in Bridge Mode and the AirPort Extreme may be set up in Bridge Mode.

If the Extreme is in Bridge Mode, the Guest Network feature will not function correctl.

In fact, are you sure that your version of the AirPort Extreme provides a Guest Network option? What model number of Extreme do you have?

If you want the Guest Network feature to operate correctly......the modem must be in Bridge Mode....and the AirPort Extreme must be in Router Mode of DHCP and NAT.

You settings should look like this:

User uploaded file

Cisco DPC3825 bridged + Airport extreme. Modem is receiving and good to go, but airport is flashing yellow and not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.